• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhering plexi on wall, but with face-mounted vinyl on it...

SolitaryT

Sintra on the back makes it heavy. Just put another piece of vinyl over the vinyl on the back (dark gray or black) and put some VHB tape on and stick to wall.

Done this myself. Apply vinyl second surface, either printed on clear or cut out rta style. Then, if you want a nice finish with rta, spray paint the back with the background color, and throw a sheet of a closely colored vinyl on the back. VHB tape and you're set. Make sense? Savi?

KevSign

Here is face mount picture. Print on Oracal adhesive Clear on L25500 with reverse print (wrong read), backside using laminate apply white vinyl. Final wet mount on .25" Clear Acrylic. This project such PITA, because artwork with solid black away from edge. We done 3 customer like and order 5 more coming 60"x40".

Attachments

• face mount.jpg
    face mount.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 95

Moze

Precision Sign Services
So, if VHB tape is applied to the vinyl, and the VHB tape is 1/32" (±) thick, and you add a dime-sized dollop of any reputable silicone (which will be either non-shrinking or low-shrinking silicone), and mount that on the wall, it's going to pull the vinyl off?

Sorry, but I don't see it happening.

Signsforwhile

We were subbed an install for something like this last year. 30 pieces, 1/2" acrylic with 2nd surface graphics. Each panel was 78x36........Heavy!

They were sent with French cleats that we're vhb'd and silicones to the back. As soon as we let go of the first one it dropped to the floor. We took them back and drilled them out and used standoffs. I think you're heading for disaster by trying to adhere to second surface graphics.

Worst part about the whole gig was that each panel went on a different floor. So we unloaded them, took them 2 at a time in the elevator and unloaded all 30 just to find out it wouldn't work. Took 8 hours just to unload and reload! Luckily we were paid for this.

visual800

This is when pics of art should be posted. I personally think this will work with no issues.

Last edited:

trimitbyrich

I have to agree with stand off's for sure. They give a very classy look to it for one, but more importantly wont damage the wall as much as vcb. When they go to take it off it will peel large sections of the drywall off as opposed to very tiny holes. Stand offs for sure.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You can minimize/eliminate damage to drywall & paint by using fishing line to cut through the VHB tape. Once you cut through the tape and the sign is removed, the remaining tape on the wall can usually (emphasis on 'usually') be removed without any damage to the wall.

Wiggum PI

I've had an issue where the 3M VHB tape we used(don't recall which one) seemed to melt through the second surface vinyl so you could see the the tape showing through on about 50 signs, never done it again since. So maybe do a test if you can.

Billct2

I don't see how you would use standoffs with second surface graphics without mucking up the graphic (unless it had a clear border which it doesn't sound like this does).
A 15"x20" 1/4" acrylic weighs a LOT less than a 36"x75" x1/2" piece. And when the weight is carried completely around the perimeter by the tape it does a better job distributing the stess than a single horizonal cleat attached with tape. Also I would just use tape, it will do the job just fine.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I don't see how you would use standoffs with second surface graphics without mucking up the graphic (unless it had a clear border which it doesn't sound like this does).
A 15"x20" 1/4" acrylic weighs a LOT less than a 36"x75" x1/2" piece. And when the weight is carried completely around the perimeter by the tape it does a better job distributing the stess than a single horizonal cleat attached with tape. Also I would just use tape, it will do the job just fine.

I agree 100%. A sign that thin is putting only shear force on the tape. One square inch of VHB tape can withstand a ridiculous amount of shear weight. If you attach VHB to the perimeter, it's staying put.

OP: I only mentioned using silicone because you mentioned being apprehensive with just using tape. VHB will do the job. If apprehensive, VHB and silicone are a mean combination.

John Butto

You guys should listen to Moze, from what I have seen of his installations and his knowledge and suggestions, he is a pure professional signman.