Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adhesive instead of welding?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by axis, Dec 7, 2012.

1. axis

axis Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Seattle
    I need to fab several "T" shaped aluminum angle brackets to hold some Dibond sign panels. Has anyone used the Lord 2 part adhesive that is supposed to be as strong or stronger than welding? I don't have room to set up a welding station and jobbing it means driving 65 miles each way. It'd be great if we could do this in-house. Anyone?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    depends on size, but that lords stuff holds pretty darn well

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Always err on the side of caution. What happens if the adhesive fails and someone gets whacked with the panel?

4. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Indoors or out? If there is no way to physically connect with rivets or bolts, Lords or the 3M autobody panel bond adhesive plus a couple sections of 3M VHB tape should hold nicely..

5. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Not enough info to tell for sure, but Lords is good stuff and I have called out Lords and VHB for attaching exterior panels.

6. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I'm with Rick - VHB and/or Lords will work.

But it also depends on the brackets you're fabbing. What are their dimensions? How much of the surface area of the brackets will be in contact to the face? How many brackets per face?

7. nwsigns

nwsigns Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Monroe wa
    We weld aluminum and use Lords every day - Lords is as strong as they claim and I would trust it like a weld any day. I tested it once on dibond and it peeled the face of the panel before letting go.

Just make sure to follow the directions and clean properly - you need to squirt some out of the mixing nozzle before applying so that you get a good mixture (one full nozzle). I hate wasting it since its spendy stuff but have seen failures where I started a bead and it never hardened - read and follow the directions and you will not have any trouble