• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhesive on PolyMetal

airborneassault

Hi Signs101'ers!

I did a search with no luck, I may not be putting the correct terms but I was hoping I'd strike gold with a new thread.

I've got a 40" x 120" piece of 3mm Polymetal that I'm preparing to hang. It's going into an extremely smooth stucco building so I'm not opposed to using mechanical fasteners but I'd like an opinion on another thought I had. We've used V-Cleats or French Cleats indoors for light PVC displays, etc but my question is could I used the cleat hanging system outdoors on a piece that large?

I'm a bit hesitant but initially I figured if I cut my cleat 96" long with a good 4" surface I could bond the cleat to the polymetal using a silcon adhesive and avoid mechanical fasteners. In the long run is it worth risking or am I better off running some screws in from the front?

Sorry for my poorly drawn illustration but thanks for any advice!

-Nathan

Attachments

• Cleat.jpg
    Cleat.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 204

Pat Whatley

The cleat idea sounds good to me and should support the weight easilly. The only thing that's troubling to me is the silicone. I've used it for years with no failures and sung its praises but just last week I had to mount a polymetal sign to a wall and the silicone literally peeled off the back of the polymetal. Seriously, two days later my sign was lying in the bushes with NO silicone on the back. Silicone stuck like hell to the wall, just not the polymetal. VHB tape, on the other hand, grabbed onto the same sheet of poly like a magnet.

FS-Keith

its not a bad idea. but like it was said above I would not use silicone. Use a sign grade epoxy such as weld-on 45 or lord adhesive. Another idea would be to epoxy on pads and stud mount.

Billct2

I agree about the silicone also, lord or 3M have adhesives made for that bond. One thing with adhesives is, (if possible) scuff the dibond , or any other shiny/painted surface, when using adhesives.
I will say that I am old school and/or paranoid about adhesives and if possible I'll throw a few mechanical fasteners.

SignManiac

I personally don't trust silicone based on some bad past experiences. I've since switched over to PL construction adhesive and always combine with hardware for added insurance whenever possible. +1 on scuffing all mating surfaces to aid in mechanical combolisis.