• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Air Dead?

WildWestDesigns

I believe that Adobe Air is now going to be a Harman product (Samsung company?) and essentially a dead product to still be able to get Flash content out there as far as Adobe is concerned. I have to wonder with this transition to Harman, if it will even survive long there.

I haven't used Flash in a looonnnngg time commercially (did some animated shorts when I was doing that type of animation (although still prefer good ole frame by frame and what I've gone back to now)), but I know some used Air to deploy Flash content.

I'm sure some hated Flash with a passion (if someone wasn't good with it, it could be exceptionally bloated that's for sure, but it was based more on the person creating the content more then the platform it self) and the flash plugin (the plugin only) has been the source of vectors of malware on all 3 major platforms, but I'll still miss it.

I know, I'm strange that way, but I'll miss it. One of the earliest platforms that I used for creating games (I'm big on nostalgia as some may be aware by now).

OADesign

I remember the days of flash. And flash games. And the onset of the infamous loading screens lol. I could never get a handle on ActionScript.

"Why is HTML5 better than Flash?
We communicate in an increasingly mobile way, and because Flash cannot outfit the mobile demands of modern business, it's trailing behind in the rat race. The HTML5 vs. Flash debate is disappearing from the global conversation.

Where new elements were added to enable users to manipulate layout for greater SEO, certain esoteric CSS qualifiers were eliminated to increase ease of use. All in all, HTML5 functions with greater audio and video capabilities, and has reached a state of total interoperability.

Steve Job's public condemnation of Flash for its inferiority to HTML5 in a publication titled, "Thoughts on Flash," initiated Flash's dissent toward obsoletion. IOS's incompatibility with Flash and YouTube's shift from Flash to HTML5 for supporting videos tipped the scale further in HTML5's direction."

^Not my words. Just a blurb a found reading up on this a while back. Felt relevant to OP

WildWestDesigns

Oh yea, no question HTML5 is better. That's what I use for my web games is HTML5 (easy export from Armory3D, Godot and/or GDevelop).

It just fills like an end of a era (probably some are thinking "Finally!!!").