• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Certifications

abmedia

Hello all,

Has anyone here completed the Adobe Certification? I've used Illustrator and Photoshop nearly every day for over 10 years. I'm looking to get a full time design job and feel the certifications would make my resume look a little better. Has anyone taken these? Pros/Cons? I'd like to get a little feedback before I drop $180 per training course.

http://training.adobe.com/certification.html

Bigdawg

Just Me
Hello all,

Has anyone here completed the Adobe Certification? I've used Illustrator and Photoshop nearly every day for over 10 years. I'm looking to get a full time design job and feel the certifications would make my resume look a little better. Has anyone taken these? Pros/Cons? I'd like to get a little feedback before I drop $180 per training course.

http://training.adobe.com/certification.html

Many years ago - in the time before layers in Adobe products - I was certified in Illustrator, Photoshop and (gulp) PageMaker. Our shop was an Adobe certified shop. I didn't see any benefit whatsoever at that time. Now I have input into hiring and while a certification may look good on the resume, we are more concerned with your experience and abilities. The certification probably wouldn't sway me a whole lot.

abmedia

Many years ago - in the time before layers in Adobe products - I was certified in Illustrator, Photoshop and (gulp) PageMaker. Our shop was an Adobe certified shop. I didn't see any benefit whatsoever at that time. Now I have input into hiring and while a certification may look good on the resume, we are more concerned with your experience and abilities. The certification probably wouldn't sway me a whole lot.

Exactly the type of input I am looking for. I have an associate's degree (probably issue #1) in graphic design and experience to back it up, but am having a hard time finding a design job that pays more than $12-$13 an hour. Just looking to add anything to my resume that may give me any sort of an extra boost. Thank you!

Bigdawg

Just Me
We start people around those rates... however, raises are good if you show you know what you are doing. I think that's probably the case in your area. The degree is great, but everyone with a computer thinks they are a designer nowadays. You'd be surprised at the people who we have had apply for design positions with no real graphics program background. (No... Word and Powerpoint do not count)

shoresigns

Exactly the type of input I am looking for. I have an associate's degree (probably issue #1) in graphic design and experience to back it up, but am having a hard time finding a design job that pays more than $12-$13 an hour. Just looking to add anything to my resume that may give me any sort of an extra boost. Thank you!

I'm sure the good design jobs are out there, but they do seem to be in decline as the freelance economy is growing like never before. You've got your work cut out for you, but if you're passionate, motivated and do good work that's more than enough to make you stand out. Just be prepared for a competitive job hunt.

Also, your portfolio is going to be important to most potential employers - feel free to post it here or PM me if you want some feedback.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know those certifications exist, I was posed this same question by a friend MANY years ago. And since then, until now, I have NEVER heard anyone ever mention it again.
I do not think anyone really knows what it entails from a hiring standpoint. It may place you above someone else if you are competing for a certain job. good luck with your job search!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The way I got my first job was the owner sat me down in front of a computer and had me recreate a few designs in illustrator from some scanned images of jobs he had done in the past. He said I was hired as soon as he saw me use the shift key to align some objects. I guess the last designer said she knew what she was doing but it didn't turn out well for her obviously. Showing them your portfolio and saying that you made the designs in illustrator or Photoshop speaks much more to your ability than a certificate.

Z SIGNS

Certifications mean ZERO to me.What programs you know how to use mean ZERO.A degree in Graphic arts means ZERO.
It's your portfolio of design work and what you can actually do that counts.Piece of paper that says something means nothing.

Just like auditioning in music.Does not matter how many music degrees you have.Let's hear what can do.Let's hear you play.

abmedia

I interviewed for a design position in North Carolina this past Dec. They had me take an online test through some verification website for Illustrator and Photoshop. I have no idea how many people had taken the tests, but Illustrator I was 91% and Photoshop 92% out of 100%. Similar to what the previous poster mentioned - they sent a logo and had me get it "print ready" with cut lines, etc. They said I did well on it. Position came down to me and another guy - I didn't get it because they needed someone to start right away and obviously I couldn't because I live in KY and would have needed a couple of weeks to move.