• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe CS4 license # of installs

tanneji

Hey all!

We just got CS4 here and in the license it says that you can install a copy on your home computer and your work computer as long as they aren't both active at the same time. Has anyone done this? Any issues with it? Can I install it on my laptop, home desktop and work desktop as long as none are in use at the same time? Just a little nervous about it as I don't wanna mess up work's license even though I have permission from the owners. Anyway, advice?

royster13

I have CS3 Standard suite installed on 2 laptops and never had a problem......But all my computers are mine and software is registered in my company name....The way I read the license information is the registered owner can install it on a 2nd computer they own....not sure if this applies to a computer owned by a 3rd party.....You might want to ask Adobe....

briankb

Premium Subscriber
2 installs are ok but I believe there is a "hard" limit and if you go beyond 2 activations without deactivating one you will have to call and talk to someone.

cptcorn

adad
You can install it on two separate systems, as long as they are not being used at the same time.

You can not install it on 3 different systems regardless if you own them or use them for work only. If you do this you will be violating the licensing agreement. That 3rd installation will be considered pirated software. Unless you deactivate and uninstall one computer.

I also must point out that I hear about a lot of people purchasing the student versions of the software. You cannot use that license in a commercial setting unless you call Adobe and upgrade your license to a commercial license.

GypsyGraphics

Never had an issue till CS4. Had CS3 running on three desktops and a laptop. With the upgrade to CS4... no can do. While I have CS4 loaded on all four systems I can only have two in use of the same application at the same time. So, say two people are running InDesign CS4, you can still have two other running any other CS4 app. Make sense?

I've keep CS3 on all systems as well and can opt to use that version if if two others are using the CS4 app I need. Well not entirely true.... I don't opt for CS3 someone else has to, by deactivating CS4. Not uninstalling, just deactivating.

I seem to recall an option to purchase the ability to run on 5 systems simultaneously.... but I could be mistaken.

GK

Never had an issue till CS4. Had CS3 running on three desktops and a laptop. With the upgrade to CS4... no can do. While I have CS4 loaded on all four systems I can only have two in use of the same application at the same time. So, say two people are running InDesign CS4, you can still have two other running any other CS4 app. Make sense?

I've keep CS3 on all systems as well and can opt to use that version if if two others are using the CS4 app I need. Well not entirely true.... I don't opt for CS3 someone else has to, by deactivating CS4. Not uninstalling, just deactivating.

I seem to recall an option to purchase the ability to run on 5 systems simultaneously.... but I could be mistaken.

They have options for volume licensing.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401505.html#noteone

cptcorn

adad

Then you are illegally using the sofware.

I also forgot to mention that just because you can install it on 2 different computers, that license is for 1 user (1 person) ... So, 1 user can install it on 2 separate machines as long as the software isn't being used at the same time one each computer.

I would also urge you to see if you're in violation for using your cs3 key and running cs3 applications after you've upgraded to cs4 and are running both cs3 and cs4 from the same key set.

Charlie J

Question...Lets say you have adobe activated on a computer, and the computer gets stolen. How do you go about deactivating the software from a computer you don't have access to, so that you can use it on a new computer?

GK

Question...Lets say you have adobe activated on a computer, and the computer gets stolen. How do you go about deactivating the software from a computer you don't have access to, so that you can use it on a new computer?

You need to contact Adobe directly. They will terminate the current activation and serial number and go through the process of re-issuing it. We had to go through it, it took about 3 full business days.

cgsigns_jamie

Call Adobe. They can reset your activation.

My computer wasn't stolen... but Apple replaced the motherboard in my MacPro and when I opened Illustrator it thought it was installed on a new computer and tried reactivation. It couldn't activate because it said I reached my limit (2 installs) so I called Adobe and the guy temporarily added a 3rd license so I could activate. I guess the software periodically checks in with Adobe to ensure you don't exceed your limit.

My issues was with CS4, the reset was instantaneous for me, no waiting.

TheSnowman

I had a fun time w/ this too. I had a heck of a time getting it installed on my laptop for some reason. It would keep telling me it wasn't registered when it was. I had to get on the phone w/ adobe to have it fixed. Anyway...yea, two computers like everyone else says. I always have to register before I can use it, and that's on CS2, so I can't believe that you could have CS3 on a bunch of computers.

GK

I guess the software periodically checks in with Adobe to ensure you don't exceed your limit.

It does. If you see the FNPLicensingService (FLEXnet Publisher) running in the background, that is what it is for. It does this for a few different software packages though, not just Adobe.

Charlie J

You need to contact Adobe directly. They will terminate the current activation and serial number and go through the process of re-issuing it. We had to go through it, it took about 3 full business days.

I just did this thru live chat with an adobe rep..... Pretty awesome.

CES020

Consider yourself lucky, there's a long list of people (self included) that have had very bad experiences with Adobe and their ability to comprehend the simple tasks.

Charlie J

Oh I feel very lucky. I was on the phone for 45 minutes just waiting to talk to a rep about doing a transfer of license. Talk about a pain in the ass.

CES020

Oh I feel very lucky. I was on the phone for 45 minutes just waiting to talk to a rep about doing a transfer of license. Talk about a pain in the ass.

45 minutes? Consider yourself lucky again :) We're talking days and even weeks of arguing with them by a number of people. Then you magically get to the right person after all of that and they say "oh, no problem" and they take care of it in minutes. If I knew exactly where in India I needed to go at that time, I would have flown over just to resolve the issue!

GK

The new system they have in place is very nice. I had to do this back with CS when I was upgrading from PS 7 and AI 10 and it was a very archaic process, its pretty streamlined now. Another real good resource is the help desk @ NAPP if you have a membership there.

ddarlak

Go Bills!

i did it on live chat,(CS3) took about 10 minutes. after a little pleading they reset my activations to 2 instead of 1.

i had it installed and activated on two computers, had the HD crash on both within a week, coudn't de-activate them. when i went on live chat, they told me they could only give me one activation back, but after asking them why was able to have two activations when i bought the software, but only one now - they gave me another activation...