• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Illustrator-need a cut contour

groutch

I have Abody Illustrator I'm trying to make a cut path around a eps file so I can cut it in my ColorRip. Would someone know the step fellow to make a cut path.:Canada 2:

iSign

need more info... what kind of .eps? Vector?
what kind of "cutpath"... and what kind of "help"... a vector cut path is about as basic as life in Illustrator gets... unless you want some automated way of tracing a rastor, without having to use (or acquire) basic drawing skills... then that might be possible too, but you gotta explain what you need... & what version of Illustrator you have.

CustomRide

Im running into the same problem. I have the CS3 for Mac AI and using colorrip for the first version sp300. If you know how to add cut lines using the above adobe please advise. Im trying to add a cut line around a .eps true vector file.

I have been searching up and down on the site but it seems if the version is even slightly different or the file that is trying to get a contour cut line added is not an eps the steps seem to vary. I could be totally wrong on this but I am a newbie any help would be much appreciated. I am holding back on starting a a new thread for help with contour cut lines.
:thankyou:

iSign

well, I've been doing this a long time, or some parts of this biz a long time... Illustrator and vinyl cutting for 19 years... large format printing for 3 years... and typing out questions and answers on the internet for 8 years...

and if I can't understand the question, then I think you ought to invest a little bit more time explaining yourself.

I don't use a roland, or color rip... but the concepts are the same, while the words may vary...

saying "contour cut lines" is just the freakin' English language... it's not a propriatory term... but if it means some software specific thing... we can't know that?? ...if it's a color rip term to you, it's just damn contour cut lines to me, and that don't mean anything other than a vector path... that you plan on cutting....

so, don't assume people will understand the entire complex sequence of processes you are dealing with, and which process you need help on, and exactly what you did, what happened, and when... and what didn't happen... just because you typed out a few key words....

tell the WHOLE story, in detailed explanations... otherwise you're just wasting the time of the people who could possibly help you... if only they somehow knew what the heck it is you want to know.

cgsigns_jamie

I would recommend you read this book HERE

It has a lot of good tips on how to use the print and cut function with your printer, or any printer really. Page 17 shows you how to create a "cutcontour" swatch in illustrator.

Color Dude

For someone that doesnt know Illustrator well that book is still not very good. I know when I first learned how to make a cut path years ago, I used that same book and it pissed me off because it did not explain in the most clearest terms. Luckily I had a local sign friend, show me where I was messing up at.

Good luck!!