Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Illustrator Unknown File Format

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by SignAnnex, Mar 9, 2011.

1. SignAnnex

SignAnnex Member

Sep 29, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm trying to open customer logo file and I’m getting an "unknown file format and cannot be opened" error message. They have sent it to me twice and I’m wondering if it's a problem on my end. I am using CS4 and the file has an .ai extension. Can CS4 open an .ai file generated in CS5?

Tags:
  2. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Have them zip the file before emailing. It could be corrupt. Also I have seen where some customers have simply renamed a file to .ai or .eps thinking that would work

If it was a newer file it will tell you so. The error is likely from the above

3. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

It will warn you that the file is from a newer version. If it is saying unknown file format the file is corrupted.

4. Tim Kingston

Tim Kingston Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Canada
    I have had this happen a couple of times too. I imported the file into Flexi
    ( which accepted it ) and then selected the Artwork and exported it back out again as an .eps, worked fine.

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Try opening the file in a text editor like WordPad. If it is an AI file, it will have a header in plain English giving information about it.