• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe on multiple machines?

GP

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have been reading through the adobe purchase agreement and receipt. Can I download onto a second machine in the office with my single license?

Again, sorry for the lame question. I am tired and going cross-eyed to find an easy answer to an easy question.

Just trying to keep us legit.

GP

RebeckaR

I have CS3 on one of my shop computers and on my PC at home.
It states that you should not have it installed on 2 computers at the same location. I'm not sure if this true, but I have read that if you try to install on computers that are networked together, it will detect the other computer and be unhappy about it. Not sure what it will do... maybe spank you or something.

I have it installed on my laptop as well, and can activate or deactivate the program so that I change use between the 3 computers. Did that make sense? Only two can be activated at a time.

GP

shame on me for going to the source and not googling for the real answers (over 301k of them). Looks like you are correct. You are allowed to load on two computers, but they cannot be used simultaneously. Interesting to think they could monitor this.

So, what if I work at home. Technically, I have one computer in the office portion of my home (according to the IRS) and the other computer is in my bedroom (which is in the living portion/square footage of my home).

Thanks Rebecka-

GP

ecoleejr

adobe

As long as they are not on the same network and they do not see each other they will both work. We have 1 license and us it occasionally on 3 computers. We just have to make sure that all 3 are not on the network at the same time.

curtrnev

I have Illy CS3 installed on my desktop and when I downloaded it to my laptop through the network.I got a message that the other install would have to be disabled before I could enable the install on the laptop.I have PS CS3 but have not loaded it on the laptop to see if there is any difference between using a disc and the downloaded version.

Curtis

GP

connected via wireless router....would that be a problem? Not actual on a network.

GP

GB2

Old Member
I have CS3 on one of my shop computers and on my PC at home.
It states that you should not have it installed on 2 computers at the same location. I'm not sure if this true, but I have read that if you try to install on computers that are networked together, it will detect the other computer and be unhappy about it. Not sure what it will do... maybe spank you or something.

I have it installed on my laptop as well, and can activate or deactivate the program so that I change use between the 3 computers. Did that make sense? Only two can be activated at a time.

I'm just curious about the way you explain this...you have it installed on 3 computers but you've never used more than 2 computers networked together at one time. What do you mean exactly when you say that you activate and deactivate the program? Do you mean you just don't run it or you uninstall it or something else?

GB2

Old Member
Wireless or hard wired shouldn't really make a difference, they are still networked together.

SignBurst PCs

connected via wireless router....would that be a problem? Not actual on a network.

GP

If your devices are connected by a router (wireless or wired), they are on a network.

I believe the license allows you to use it on one computer at a time. You can "deactivate" a license and then "activate" it on another computer.

It may allow you to "activate" it more than once, on two different computers at the same time (on the same network or not). But, I don't think that is legally "OK". I may be wrong, but I have never read anything in the EULA that states otherwise.

SignBurst PCs

You can deactivate Adobe software from within the "help" menu. It tells the Adobe server that that license is free to be used and "activated" on another computer.

The software is still installed (but deactivated) and you have to activate it before you can use it again.

RebeckaR

The program can only be activated on 2 computers at the same time. You can install it on as many computers as you want, but can only have it activated on 2 at a time.
I have it installed on my work PC, my home PC and my laptop.
Right now it is activated on the two PCs. If I am traveling or at a show, I deactivate the copy that is on the home PC and activate the laptop.
Adobe knows which computers the program is active on and will only allow two at a time. (If the program is not activated it will not open) It's pretty simple to swap the activation and I don't have to uninstall or reinstall to do it.
Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be, but just trying to follow the rules set down by Adobe.

GP

Damn, it is full price to purchase the second license.

So, technically (and it will not really free up the work station or save us any headaches), but is it as simple as yelling across the shop "can you deactivate really quickly?"

SignBurst PCs

Damn, it is full price to purchase the second license.

So, technically (and it will not really free up the work station or save us any headaches), but is it as simple as yelling across the shop "can you deactivate really quickly?"

Yeah, but what a pain in the @$$. I don't know how many times they will let you do it in any given time period either.

GP

i totally agree, though I am not sure today's the day to bite that 600 dollar bullet.

GB2

Old Member
I'm running Adobe CS, which I believe is Illustrator 11, and I can't find any way to activate or deactivate anything but coincidentally only 30 seconds before I saw this thread I was going to install it on a new laptop. I guess I'll just have to try it and see if there is any problem. Typically a single user license will allow you to install on a desktop and a laptop at the same time but not to be used by more than one person at one time. I guess you have to read the fine print of all licenses though if you want the definitive answer.