• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe PDF and Illustrator question

JERHEMI

A customer sent me a pdf file they would like for me to print, but when I place in Illustrator CS2 it says fonts are not available and replaces fonts with ones that are on my system then places. Do I need to install these fonts somehow? Or is their a way to import somehow into Illustrator without having to go though the trouble of installing these fonts? Thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you also have Acrobat Pro with your CS2? With that you should be able to open and then save as in a variety of formats including EPS.

JERHEMI

Yes, I have Acrobat Pro and I tried what you suggested and it still gives me an error that says "The document uses fonts or characters which are not available or are in a different format than originally specified". Any more suggestions?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Sounds like they didn't embed the fonts when they wrote the eps. You can't do anything to change that except have them rewrite it again for you. When you view it in Acrobat does it match hard copy they have provided? If you don't have a hard copy generated from their computer to show you what it is supposed to look like, there's a possibility that when you view the document on your computer the fonts are defaulted and not matching the original. Just had this happen on a job that I used an LHF font on and forgot to change to outlines. Customer was viewing a defaulted pdf in Reader everytime without knowing it and called to complain when the ad ran with a different font (which was the correct font according to the design).

Another possibility if hard copy matches is the presence of what I call ghost fonts. Usually a space bar or in illustrator a type point that you can't. Let it open in Illustrator and then do a replace/find on the missing fonts to see exactly where they are.

JERHEMI

Fred, you have mail! Let me know if you find a solution. I have to run a few errands this afternoon so I won't get to a computer til later but thanks for your help and I'll check back when I can!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Vector Doctor posted a solution too PDF's with embedded fonts, do a search, it works great.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have fixed the file using Eric's technique and sent it back to JERHEMI. It was a frustrating file which would not respond to my usual approaches although the fonts used in it we listed as embedded, they would not respond in ways i have had success with in the past. Perhaps it was because the fonts used were Type 1?