Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe PhotoShop Elements

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by mwood, Aug 24, 2008.

1. mwood

mwood New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I am by no means a graphic designer. But I need PhotoShop on occassion and I hate to pay Adobe's price for something I won't use a lot. I've looked at Adobe PhotoShop Elements and I think it might do the trick.

My two primary needs: 1. Handling transparent TIFFS 2. Better shadow effects

I am using Flexi 8.5. It just doesn't do transparent TIFFS (at least that I can figure out, and it's shadow effects look pretty cartoonish.

Does anyone know if I can get these 2 features from Elements, or do I need the the expensive version of PhotoShop.

Thanks for any help.

Tags:
  2. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
  3. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    You can allways buy the educational Adobe suite if you know someone thats in college for about $400

4. PartyMatt

PartyMatt Member

Feb 26, 2008
    I used to use Elements quite a bit, but I outgrew it quickly. All blending effects like drop shadow and glow are only available as canned text effects. You can't change the parameters or apply the effect to a bitmap selection. Text manipulation is also very limited. You can't make text taller or wider and you can't change spacing between letters.

Basically Elements sucks balls for sign work.

5. slipperyfrog

slipperyfrog Active Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    That is a nice legal way to do things.........

6. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    I noticed a lite version at Office Max for $300.00

7. graphics guru

graphics guru Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Statesville, NC
    i know i toggle back and forth between flexi 8 and cs2.
    some quick things you can do in flexi is, when you make a shadow, then grab it and make it transparent ( adjust as needed) and you will see the background under it. some bitmaps with a white or light contrast background in comparison with the foreground you can go and click make transparent in flexi and adjust the tolerance then click ok. you can then overlay the file on whatever background or bitmap you wish. when you export to print, you will need to rasterize the transparent properties at at least 150 dpi so it makes it read as one fill.