• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe PhotoShop Elements

mwood

I am by no means a graphic designer. But I need PhotoShop on occassion and I hate to pay Adobe's price for something I won't use a lot. I've looked at Adobe PhotoShop Elements and I think it might do the trick.

My two primary needs: 1. Handling transparent TIFFS 2. Better shadow effects

I am using Flexi 8.5. It just doesn't do transparent TIFFS (at least that I can figure out, and it's shadow effects look pretty cartoonish.

Does anyone know if I can get these 2 features from Elements, or do I need the the expensive version of PhotoShop.

Thanks for any help.

PartyMatt

I used to use Elements quite a bit, but I outgrew it quickly. All blending effects like drop shadow and glow are only available as canned text effects. You can't change the parameters or apply the effect to a bitmap selection. Text manipulation is also very limited. You can't make text taller or wider and you can't change spacing between letters.

Basically Elements sucks balls for sign work.

graphics guru

i know i toggle back and forth between flexi 8 and cs2.
some quick things you can do in flexi is, when you make a shadow, then grab it and make it transparent ( adjust as needed) and you will see the background under it. some bitmaps with a white or light contrast background in comparison with the foreground you can go and click make transparent in flexi and adjust the tolerance then click ok. you can then overlay the file on whatever background or bitmap you wish. when you export to print, you will need to rasterize the transparent properties at at least 150 dpi so it makes it read as one fill.