• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe to Corel

WildWestDesigns

If your work flow is one stick with it. No matter what program it is.

If you think function names being different is bad between Ai and DRAW, they are far worse in the embroidery world. The learning curve is far worse going from one program to the next. At least there is some consistency here.

bannertime

If you're making signs and banners, just get Flexi and complement it with Photoshop and Illy. Flexi was built for our industry. I'll use Adobe products for creating small format products or building parts to assemble in Flexi. Everything else is done within Flexi.

I actually found this post trying to find a way to convert CPT files, so I'm biased against it right now, and I know Flexi is much more expensive than Corel. Flexi is so simple and you don't need plugins or certain file types to send to RIP.

ams

If you're making signs and banners, just get Flexi and complement it with Photoshop and Illy. Flexi was built for our industry. I'll use Adobe products for creating small format products or building parts to assemble in Flexi. Everything else is done within Flexi.

I actually found this post trying to find a way to convert CPT files, so I'm biased against it right now, and I know Flexi is much more expensive than Corel. Flexi is so simple and you don't need plugins or certain file types to send to RIP.

Errr... With corel you don't need plugins or certain file types for RIP either. I design, save, import into RIP and print.

bannertime

Errr... With corel you don't need plugins or certain file types for RIP either. I design, save, import into RIP and print.

Ok, you can setup the print function to send a file to a RIP program. It still lacks features such as 1 click contour or rectangle cut lines, nesting, measuring tools, braille, qrcodes/barcodes etc, and robust path editing tools.

ams

Ok, you can setup the print function to send a file to a RIP program. It still lacks features such as 1 click contour or rectangle cut lines, nesting, measuring tools, braille, qrcodes/barcodes etc, and robust path editing tools.

How do you figure that as well? Have you even used X8? You must still be back on 12 which didn't have those things.

ams

If they've added those features, without plugins, then great.

Exactly. Like I said before, the old versions before X4 weren't great, in fact pretty poor. Since then they have poured tons of features and programming into Draw.

WildWestDesigns

Exactly. Like I said before, the old versions before X4 weren't great, in fact pretty poor. Since then they have poured tons of features and programming into Draw.

Ironically, this does actually go both ways.

I remember the last time that this conversation came up (which happens fairly frequently, it's just about as common as gas v diesel threads in the truck forums I'm in), typically the number 1 complaint about Ai is so many mouse clicks. Again use Actions. One user wanted to know where the actions were in Ai 7 (which actually pre-dates Win 98 by a year I do believe). If that is the last version of Ai that they actually tried, but they kept up with DRAW since then, no wonder that they didn't care for it much. Ironically, I think the Actions Palette actually came out in v8, but I've slept since then.

Again, both are fully capable, I do believe it's what people know and if they know how to be efficient in that particular program (again, not necessarily the same thing, although a lot of people think that it is). Use what you are used to, unless there is a very compelling reason to switch, typically beyond your control.

myront

CorelDRAW is best

This discussion has prompted me to rethink my views on illy vs. corel. I am too old to care about anything other than corel but in taking another look at adobe i have discovered some similarities do exist between the two. For me adobe is much harder to figure out without having a trainer over you shoulder.

back to your comments above, "1 click contour or rectangle cut lines"? In corel it's called "create boundary" for which I have assigned my w key as a shortcut. Select your shape and hit w and bam, you have a cut line or contour. Took me 30min to figure out how to do it in illy (CS4) but still have to click a few more times to get it. And tried to set a shortcut key for it...apparently you can't set just one letter as a shortcut, has to be paired with cntrl, alt, or function keys.

In illy, why do I have to choose or set the new doc settings every time I start a new doc? In corel it really doesn't matter what the size is, I have my default set to automatically start with a "broad sheet". Hit new doc and that's it.

Why no "print selected only" in illy?

And what's with the stupid marquee select, automatically grabs everything it touches! I tried every key combo to get around that but nothing works.

I've created many macros in corel that neither program have built in. The fact that you can do that and "fully" customize the workspace is reason enough for me to stick with corel.

Bottom line...I suspect if I had an illy person to sit over my shoulder they could probably tell me "yep, you can do that...yep, that too...and so on just as much as I can tell them the same with corel.

Which one requires the most training/tutorials....Adobe.

WildWestDesigns

back to your comments above, "1 click contour or rectangle cut lines"? In corel it's called "create boundary" for which I have assigned my w key as a shortcut. Select your shape and hit w and bam, you have a cut line or contour. Took me 30min to figure out how to do it in illy (CS4) but still have to click a few more times to get it. And tried to set a shortcut key for it...apparently you can't set just one letter as a shortcut, has to be paired with cntrl, alt, or function keys.

Actions, actions, actions. Click the object, click the action, bam even to the precise size needed. Or you can click a box that will stop the action for you to insert a different size needed.

In illy, why do I have to choose or set the new doc settings every time I start a new doc? In corel it really doesn't matter what the size is, I have my default set to automatically start with a "broad sheet". Hit new doc and that's it.

You are right, that is an annoying feature. Doesn't affect me as much as I always have to setup new parameters as it is, but if I needed more consistency, that would be a slow down.

I never noticed that, but your right. Never needed to use it, but that one would be a pain for me sure know that I know it isn't there. Typically, I just do hide layers and have it print visible layers only. The way I work with layers, that's easier, but that option would be handy.

And what's with the stupid marquee select, automatically grabs everything it touches! I tried every key combo to get around that but nothing works.

That one does tick me off.

I've created many macros in corel that neither program have built in. The fact that you can do that and "fully" customize the workspace is reason enough for me to stick with corel.

CC you can, at least from the tutorials (not on Ai, but for plugins that work in Ai) that I've seen. I don't have CC and have no interest in the product, but from what I can tell, you can.

Actually, during my time with Corel, I had far more tutorials going for that, then I needed with Ai. Again, I think that it's what you are used to and if you started from a point to where it was "young" and not quite a feature rich, that probably also helps as well. Trying to get in now, can (and more then likely is) a herculean task.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
This discussion has prompted me to rethink my views on illy vs. corel. I am too old to care about anything other than corel but in taking another look at adobe i have discovered some similarities do exist between the two. For me adobe is much harder to figure out without having a trainer over you shoulder.

Bottom line...I suspect if I had an illy person to sit over my shoulder they could probably tell me "yep, you can do that...yep, that too...and so on just as much as I can tell them the same with corel.

Regarding contours... isn't that also one click in the pathfinder toolbox? Upper left called "unite"

And can you explain further the marquee select issue? If you don't want to grab something then don't touch it? I have no issue grabbing any object separate from one another

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Regarding contours... isn't that also one click in the pathfinder toolbox? Upper left called "unite"

And can you explain further the marquee select issue? If you don't want to grab something then don't touch it? I have no issue grabbing any object separate from one another

attachment.php

Attachments

• marquee select.PNG
    marquee select.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 168

bannertime

My comments were to throw another contender into play. SAI Flexi. With their new subscription, you don't pay the $1500 for a usb key. Download and go.

But, if Corel really has those features, the ones I said Flexi excelled at, then use Corel. Cause Illy does not have those functions without scripting, plugins, hotkeys, whatever. Also with Flexi I can open just about every file except Corel files. Which bugs the $*** out of me.

I used to supplement Illustrator with Flexi(This goes back to Illy 7), but with the new version, I've been using Flexi about 95% of the time.

Pete Moss

I've used both CorelDraw & Illustrator for many years now. It seems like as soon as I get a new job it switches from one to the other. I have noticed that some information can be lost going from an Illustrator .eps to Corel. It does not happen often, but it does happen. We ask for .pdf files which helps avoid this problem. It is nice to have both in case you have a file that comes in with a native .cdr or .ai. Illustrator and CorelDraw are very similar applications. However, there are things that are a bit easier from one to another. Corel allows you to import many files at once, and it's find and replace option is nice. It used to be the case anyway whereas you needed to use a special key command to paste in place in Illustrator whereas Corel does this automatically. I am currently using Corel so it is a bit easier to point out Corels strengths. Illustrators step and repeat function is nice.

myront

CorelDRAW is best

found the Pathfinder toolbox and "unite" but have not been able to get anything to work.
Trying to create a line around the perimeter of a shape without having to copy paste/paste in front then remove the fill. That's a lot of steps.

WildWestDesigns

found the Pathfinder toolbox and "unite" but have not been able to get anything to work.
Trying to create a line around the perimeter of a shape without having to copy paste/paste in front then remove the fill. That's a lot of steps.

Actions, actions, actions.