• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advanced cutting with Versaworks

Sticky Signs

I saw this on here a while back. I've been searching but I can't find it.
Basically, I read that there is a way to have versaworks print and cut a large quantities of decals. Here's the thing, this thread explained that there is an advanced setting that allows you to print/cut one row of decals at time thus enabling the print/cut to be more accurate. I have about 600 decals to print/cut and I'd like to be able to have the cut accurately. Any help is always great.

cgsigns_jamie

I posted this awhile back....

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=503680&postcount=13

It's not very hard. I'm going from memory so some of the terms may be different...

When setting up your print job make sure the "Media Size" is set on "Custom Sheet". Next change the sheet size so you can fit "X" amount of "decals" on a sheet.

For example if I'm printing 5" x 1" labels and want the printer to print 5 rows then I would set my sheet size to 53" x 5".

Next set your quantity, for this example I'll print 1000. Because my sheet size is 53" x 5" I'll only be able to print 50 labels per sheet. VersaWorks will automatically create new sheets so in the preview you will see 20 sheets with 50 labels per sheet.

Now you can set the printer to Print > Dry > Contour Cut > Cut Sheet.

To do this go the the Printer Controls and set your dry time and click the "Cut Sheet" check box <- This option may be under Cut Setup

The printer will then print 5 rows, pause to dry, contour cut, cut off the sheet and repeat.

If you don't want a dry time or have it cut off each sheet just don't select those two items.

Sticky Signs

Yeah, like I said, I read about it a while back but i never needed to use it till today. My printer was still print/cutting the decals when I left for home. I'll have a nice pile of decals waiting for me when I get to the shop tomorrow. I have to put them on double sided poker chips. Fun times ahead. Thanks again Jamie, I owe you a beer!

feckmo

Oh man, this is a KILLER tip! Thanks so much for posting. We run 500 or 1000 4.5" round stickers at a time fairly frequently, but we dare to run 100 at a time because the contour cut gets wonky beyond that.

Thanks again!

visualeyez

Doesn't that method leave like 3" of media hanging off the front and back of every sheet, probably doubling your material use? This is what I have found on the Roland SP540V. I cut up to 36" lengths for small decals, and use 5 pinch rollers when cutting.

Sticky Signs

FYI - I've been playing with this and discovered that you do not have to have the sheet cut feature turned on. It still leaves a gap between rows but not as much.

takatatak

Thanks for the great tip Jamie :rock-n-roll:

Managed to find a PDF outlining the procedure at www.rolanddg.co.za/...pdf

visualeyez & Sticky Signs, in order to remove the white gaps between each row do the following in VersaWorks:

1. Open the Job Settings
2. Click Printer Controls
3. Click the check box that says Use Custom Settings
4. Change the Page Space setting to 0mm
That should do the trick :wink:

elbandito57

Nice little tip this is! Thanks for sharing. The only probelm I have is the gap of wasted media that is left between each sheet. Can anybody tell me if there is a way to reduce that? I have reduced the 'Page Space' option to 0mm but it still forward the media out a few inches inbetween each sheet.