• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advanced skill value...

Locals Find!

Rick, with all your skills & knowledge and your desire to be around people. Why don't you start a professional training school? I am sure there are tons of companies and sign people that would be willing to pay for themselves or their employees to gain some of the knowledge that you have spent over 30 years learning and perfecting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, maybe you should join a forum where you could do some good.... where people will listen to sound advice and intelligence. Ha, maybe even start a REAL 201.
Yeah, that's the ticket.... Signs 201.....................:rolleyes:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Ya know, maybe you should join a forum where you could do some good.... where people will listen to sound advice and intelligence. Ha, maybe even start a REAL 201.
Yeah, that's the ticket.... Signs 201.....................:rolleyes:

I already belong to 2 similar forums, where do you think I get the bulk of my work?

Rick

Rick, with all your skills & knowledge and your desire to be around people. Why don't you start a professional training school? I am sure there are tons of companies and sign people that would be willing to pay for themselves or their employees to gain some of the knowledge that you have spent over 30 years learning and perfecting.

Sorta looked into this, colleges prefer degrees. The last job I had, we had 3 college instructors. I applied at a job where they did basic sign shop instruction but I think the education part and not being certified/trained on Roland Printers took me out of the running for that job. But part of my work is educating sign shops for bigger work.

Locals Find!

Sorta looked into this, colleges prefer degrees. The last job I had, we had 3 college instructors. I applied at a job where they did basic sign shop instruction but I think the education part and not being certified/trained on Roland Printers took me out of the running for that job. But part of my work is educating sign shops for bigger work.

I didn't mean work for a college. I meant start "Rick's Mastering Signs School" start your own gig. You got the knowledge sit down and write the curriculum and put together a training camp. I am sure you could book yourself into a conference room at a hilton for 3-5 day class and start selling seats to sit down and learn from you.

Rick

Sounds like you would be a excellent project manager. I have seen some with less qualifications make 80+ a year after bonuses. Most major metropolitan areas have half a dozen or so outfits that have production managers on the payroll.

I have applied for on local one, but they were dealing with smaller jobs, too qualified, then added they could not pay well.

lol .. I have been in the biz for almost 30 yrs .. omg I AM OLD :omg2:

Honestly Rick you have amazing skills don't settle for anything less than an amazing job that will challenge you
good luck with the hunt

Were not old!!!

So a Certified Circle Designer does THIS?

"making circles on my belly while jumping on one leg"

Yeah, how do you think I got certified? >nursing a hamstring pull<

I gave this advice in the other thread, but: specialize. At least on your resume. Target jobs with specific needs and tailor your resume to those needs. Don't give the whole laundry list.

I'd also recommend becoming really active on LinkedIn. Join and participate in as many groups as possible, answer questions in the Q&A section, connect with as many people as you can (scrape your email and social networks to start). Jam your LinkedIn profile with keywords (seriously keyword stuffing works as the LinkedIn search algo is pretty dumb).

That said, how far are you willing to relocate?

My resume is simple, just job experience, and only the past 4 jobs, basic software skills and major projects list. My speicialty is Environmental Graphic Design. I will adjust my cover letter to the specific job. I have modified my resume when I thought it would help, dumbed it down and also dumbed down my portfolio for local work.

I participate in LinkedIn groups, but it's only brought me a few connection of people I have never met. I have yet to make connections... I guess I am not comfortable with the connections thing yet. (better get over that)

As far as relocation? I think as long as the are can support my work in case I was let go, that would be okay, but going back to Hawaii would be nice :smile:

Great comments so far.... thanks

Rick

I didn't mean work for a college. I meant start "Rick's Mastering Signs School" start your own gig. You got the knowledge sit down and write the curriculum and put together a training camp. I am sure you could book yourself into a conference room at a hilton for 3-5 day class and start selling seats to sit down and learn from you.

I have worked for sign guys and EG Designers that did this. Turn outs are spotty at best, and it's very frustrating cramming info into people with a wide skill set. I usually helped with the green designer/sign guys.

cdiesel

Rick,
I know I've thrown this out there half-jokingly in the past, but would you consider Phoenix? Seriously. Give me a call--I think we'd be a great match.

jkdbjj

My advice would be finding a struggling sign company, but make sure the owner is in it to win it, and partner up.
Option 2, go to the bank and get a loan and make it happen. If you are decent at all the above skills, you should have no problem carving a piece of whatever market you end up moving to.

good luck!

wdaugherty

Rick -

With a skill set like that, most employers are going to immediately think you are expensive. With a skill set like that, what are you expecting to earn?

Rick

Rick -

With a skill set like that, most employers are going to immediately think you are expensive.

Loaded question, especially for your first post on this site. As an employer of at least 2 companies, what is your opinion?

I took a peek at both your companies and I have interviewed at similar. Most said I was overqualified. One offered me 15 bucks an hour and it only cut a half hour from my old commute... I was getting almost twice that and I got to do cool work.

A few other shops offered me 25 an hour with 1+ hour drives. Only mom and pop shops said they thought I was too expensive and this is after I dumbed down my resume, but by that time I was getting desperate for work.

Now when I am not offered the job, I always ask why. I almost always get an answer. Most have been, "You will be bored working here" "First job that is better, you will fly the coup" "We just can't use those skills here, maybe one day" "I can't hire someone who knows more than me" "You have been doing this so long, you probably have developed bad habits" and my favorite "stuck up designers like you probably won't weed vinyl" the least has been "we think you might be too expensive"... but some of the previous statements might be their way of saying it. I have never been given these statements at a design firm of EGD firm.

Most of these statements are assumptions and generalizations... probably based on their experience. I try real hard never to generalize or assume, an employer will get my best effort, they always have, they always will.

A smart employer... and I believe most have been smart, have either given me an offer or told me what the starting pay was, or asked me what I was looking for... none of them thought I was asking too much, only a few said they would not (out of principle), or could not pay that amount.

Rick -
With a skill set like that, what are you expecting to earn?

I never look at it that way, I have a requirement of what I need to make. I'm a single father and have to make so much to make ends meet.

There is an average or an unwritten standard. If someone could use my skills, the average pay scale is from 60-80k a year, there are jobs out there in the 90-100k range. I know that, and the companies that deal with EGD know that. I would not assume a "sign shop" or "print shop" knows that.

High end EGD jobs can be found at www.segd.org in the "job bank".

signswi

Have you tried getting into architectural firms that do EGD? They are less likely to balk at the salary numbers you're worth.