• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice for getting a small vinyl setup off the ground

jim631121

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for advice for starting a small vinyl business, or if you have experience to share about your own start.

I have a Roland Sticka-15 and a GX-24. I have the Idea of starting out making window graphics, cor-plast yard signs and possibly banners (though I've not attempted a banner yet).

So, please, offer any advice, experiences or stories to help a small operation get off the ground.

All replies are welcome... good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks in advance,

Jim :thankyou:

jiarby

Sell all your equipment.
Focus on sales and designs/layouts.
Job out actual production of everything.

jscarl

welcome Jim. From mid Michigan. Strole threw the archives and you will find many many of your answers.

SignosaurusRex

Business being the operative word! Maybe that's Jim's reason for this venture!

Peace out! I was asking JIM, not you. I can read quite fine and my comprehension is not challenged. Are you somehow qualified to answer for him? My question was in a friendly nature as well as very plain, simple and direct......without malice.

futuredcon

Peace out! I was asking JIM, not you. I can read quite fine and my comprehension is not challenged. Are you somehow qualified to answer for him? My question was in a friendly nature as well as very plain, simple and direct......without malice.

I never answered for him did I Rexy. I just state the obvious which you never saw.Now close your mouth cos your breath stinks!!!

Mainframe

Get a Speed Press,(for transfering vinyl to signs & banners) check out Bandana banner on a roll, just cut off what you need & learn to use the signs 101 search, it will be your best friend.ps Make sure you get your hands on a few design layout books to help you do the layouts.

P

ProWraps™

I never answered for him did I Rexy. I just state the obvious which you never saw.Now close your mouth cos your breath stinks!!!

for a newbie you have a real bad attitude. both on this post and pretty much all others. if you plan on sticking around, my advice would be to tone it down a bit.

jim631121

Great dialog,

My background is that I am NOT a trained artist / designer but have been intrested in graphic arts since the mid 80's. I have a full time job in which I have used Autocad for several years now. I have played around with 3D (Blender... very cool little program). I'm just at the age where I want to start something of my own.

Heck... if it does well ... maybe my children would like to help out.

Thanks,

Jim

LavelleSign

window lettering and vehicles and coros, i would suggest getting a ledco signmaster 44 for quantity jobs it'll make work flow easier. getting a small 4 color screen printing press(less vinyl waste on coro jobs). try to learn some wrap techniques. if your not doing any fabrication work these tools will help you tackle some good size vinyl jobs. stick with 15" media helps keep your material cost down as well

Big House Signs

You will learn a lot just reading thru the forums on this site. When I first joined this site i had already been in the business for 10 years but was amazed by what I learned and how it helped me grow my business. A sugestion to you, dear. If you have a question search the forums...search google....cuz sometimes the members here get impatient and cranky with the newbie questions....or grow some thick skin! Good luck with your new venture.
Paula

ChiknNutz

PLEASE do NOT be a low-baller just because you "don't have the overhead of a big shop." Get some experience by doing some free jobs for friends and family, and then charge a fair price that reflects your local market. There is a lot to learn and it doesn't come on overnight.

Cadmn

second GxS's post don't lowball learn pricing first thing. Don't catch futeredcon's attitude as it gets Nowhere here

jim631121

Not interested in undercutting anyone.

PLEASE do NOT be a low-baller just because you "don't have the overhead of a big shop."

I fully understand that those of you who have built up your business have those related expences. I aspire to be in the same situation in the future. I also assume that there is enough business to go around so that I might have the chance to get a start. I value the opinions and replies I have gotten thus far. I know I have plenty of research and reading to do, but since I have always worked for others, I'm seeking direction from those who know where to start.

Again, Thank you all for the responses.

Jim

RandallMac

Jim,

This is a challenging business to start from scratch without a mentor. You will need to learn trade skills as well as business skills. If you are currently employed, stay employed until you get your feet under you. I have not been a participant of the forum very long but I can already see that you can find some mentoring here. I would advise you to first read a few books on starting your own business and get a basic understanding of overhead. At the same time seak out all the info on sign layout and design you can find.

Begin to invest slowly in signmaking software & instruction and talk to suppliers about materials. Attend a trade show or two, when you are ready, try a Chamber of Commerce Business Fair or some other venue that is low cost but will get you some exposure in the community.

But most of all, don't try to provide everything to everyone. If you do find jobs that require skills or fabrication processes you have not mastered, try to either sub it out or turn the job over to the qualified vendor for a finder's fee. In this business, biting off more than you can chew may cost you some teeth. But don't be afraid. You are in control so just be cautious.

I cannot think of any other business I would rather be in. I envy the adventure that awaits you. Just make sure you don't dive before testing the waters! Make a realistic plan, make sure you have financing, plan to work twice as hard as you expect to and spend lots of time in this forum. Good luck!