• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

advice for running small labels

Pideas

I'm running some labels sized 3.5x4". The labels are being applied to little eyedropper bottles. The writing on the labels are quite small... around a 3pt or 4pt font. It lists ingredients and other warnings. I'm trying to run these labels on my HP Latex printer. Any suggestions on how to get the lettering to print out clearly? I've tried printing at 18pass and 600x600 resolution but I can't quite get clear lettering. I may have to run this on my digital printer instead but just wanted to get some suggestions.

Reveal1

The obvious is to run at 1200 dpi. Number of passes will have little impact. Also, is your native file contain vector or rasterized text?. Your RIP will rasterize a vector at the desired dpi (1200 in this case) but if you are starting with text that has already been rasterized at a lower rate, that's the best you will get.

Jburns

I would not be surprised if you cant get clear 3 or 4 pt text on a latex printer. the Picoliter droplet is larger when compared to solvent systems.

Pideas

The obvious is to run at 1200 dpi. Number of passes will have little impact. Also, is your native file contain vector or rasterized text?. Your RIP will rasterize a vector at the desired dpi (1200 in this case) but if you are starting with text that has already been rasterized at a lower rate, that's the best you will get.

The native file CorelDraw is vectorized but I convert to high resolution PDF before printing. The max my HP latex will go is 600dpi.

Pideas

I only get an option for 600x600 on my Flexi RIP. The only other options are lower, 300dpi and 150dpi.

TomK

20 pass will do 1200 dpi no matter what flexi says, I've been told.

Won't help, as mentioned earlier the pl droplet size is HUGE on these grain train latex heaters, and it is fixed too compared to most every other vendor that makes wide format printers.

bannertime

You'll need to bump up the passes to over 16p to get the 1200dpi option I think. It may even be 20p. I'm not sure I'd try anything less than 8p on latex to be honest.

ikarasu

Even on our old solvent, you cant print small text too clearly. These are wide format printers... not fine detail printers.

3 pt font is 1 MM high... thats pretty demanding even for a desktop printer.

Try changing your color to 0/0/0/100 if its black font... having every head firing and trying to align on something that small causes bluriness. and try using 18Pass min to get 1600 dpi.... But odds are if you want it perfectly clear, you'll need to use an aqueous printer.