• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice for starting local print shop

CSPrint

I currently make custom products that i sell online, but i am looking to get into providing printing services locally since i have downtime on my machines. Any advice as far as the best way to get into this field? I have the equipment listed below , so i want to offer banners, yard signs, vinyl, wedding and event decor, etc. mostly Mid sized jobs. Any machines you recommend that really bring in the most customers and money that i am missing? Is it best to link in with a franchise and then branch off from there? As far as building a site with built in pricing estimates and a portal to submit files, any advise on what works best for that? Thanks for any and all input!

Two - 4x8' Arizona Flatbed UV Printer
Two - 64" Hp Latex Printers
Two - Esko Kongsberg Digital Cutters 5'x12' tables
One - Summa 64" cutter

Thanks,
Steve

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Start off with a free Google listing and a decent website. It doesn't need to have pricing or design tools... just enough information about what you do so local people will call. You can make 2-3x off a local customer than online.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
How do you currently sell your products online without a website? I agree with Tex - build a decent site and get your name on top in search results (SEO)
locals will find you.
I wouldn't get in bed with a franchise - you will end up committing a percentage of your profits+ for years.

CSPrint

How do you currently sell your products online without a website? I agree with Tex - build a decent site and get your name on top in search results (SEO)
locals will find you.
I wouldn't get in bed with a franchise - you will end up committing a percentage of your profits+ for years.
good thoughts. We sell on amazon and etsy right now

Gettin'By

You could try reaching out to local shops as a contractor to be farmed out to. Either you have capabilities they don't, or for handling overflow. It'd put some product on your machines and probably be easier than trying to reach out to the public since you already have one business going. Could also put the burden of arranging installs on your customer, you just produce the thing. Agree on the laminator, too.

Stacey K

I like making signs
A little advice...if you don't want people coming in for one 2" sticker then stick to the website and don't open up a storefront. Keep it by appointment only. Definitely get a laminator. I think you could get away with not doing installs. I don't do any sign installs but I sell a crap load of them. You could join a B2B group or the local chamber of commerce. In my town when you join they put a post on FB and they send an email out to all the members about your new business. It was $25 a year.

Be prepared for a lot of calls for small jobs and don't get caught up in that small stuff. Have a minimum and stick to it. The biggest time waster when dealing with the public is the small jobs and the people that want those jobs have no problem wasting 20 minutes of your time trying to convince you to do them. And they tell their friends and before you know it, you have 100 of them banging your door down. Have a minimum and stick to it.