• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice Needed--.080 Sign Printing

spur

Just had a customer come in and request 50, .080 aluminum rectangular multi-color signs (spot color). Customer is asking for Dye-Sub, we would
traditionally screen print.

We do have experience with dye-sub, but not as far as outdoor signage goes, so I'm a bit nervous regarding longevity of the print, and cost effectiveness.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated!

spur

Dye-Sublimation is a process that converts ink to a gas and 'imbeds' it under a coating of the substrate after heat is applied. We use it for plaques and occasionally garments. but have never tried on outdoor signs.

epatsellis

Usually, one uses dye sub to print on fiber reinforced polyester blanks, aluminum would need to be sub coated to even accept the dyes. Dye sub is common for vandal proof signage, but not on aluminum.

erie

spur

I have used dye-sub on metals including coated aluminum in the past and it works great. I'm not sure about outdoor use even though it could be UV coated. Just hoping someone has had some real world exerience with this.

Travis Stanley

I have used dye-sub on metals including coated aluminum in the past and it works great. I'm not sure about outdoor use even though it could be UV coated. Just hoping someone has had some real world exerience with this.

The licence plates they sell are for outdoor use. they also carry sheet sizes, not sure about the thickness though.

CES020

It has nothing to do with the substrate. It had everything to do with the ink. There is one ink for small printers that's UV friendly and that's Sawgrass' ArTainium. The SubliJet Ink is NOT UV friendly and will not last outside. ArTainium only runs on the Epson's, and there is no ArTainium Ink available for the Ricoh's.

So be careful, you must have the right ink. If you don't have it, then it's going to cost you a pile of money to buy that one ink to do the job, and it's not great to push that ink behind the other ink. It can cause contamination and you'll have more serious issues.