• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice needed for second surface custom cut graphics backed with etchmark

signsnowdaytona

Here is what we are doing: printing in reverse on clear, laminating with white then contour cut and applied to second surface of clear acrylic. Then we are skinning that side with etchmark vinyl (wet). The problem is the liquid gets trapped around the cut graphics no matter how well we squeegee. I think that may go away but we can't install it looking like that unless maybe we know for sure. Does anybody have a different technique?

Billct2

How about contour cutting the etch with a slight overlap, that will give an escape for liquid, or air.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Could you spray it with a satin or matte clear? Or, you could cut the shape of the graphic out of the etchmark slightly larger.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You're gonna have to apply your etch with a slightly larger contour shape reversed out of it, then insert your contour cut white vinyl-backed vinyl inside of that reversed out etch. I've done one similar and it looked ok. I left maybe a .02 gap....from a distance it's hardly visible.
Even if you did the method you described dry, you'll still have noticeable bubble around the contour cut parts.

Chasez

I'm not sure what you are using as an application solution, but I used to do it easily. Used rapid tac, and instead of watering it down 2-1, i did 4-1 (Rap tac to water), and use a ton of solution when applying. As you squeegee the solution out, stop after you squeegee over your text and use a heat gun and a card in a soft cloth and push the solution out (use your finger where needed). This way may take some time but I know it works.

Hope it helps - may be worth doing a test piece before going onto your finished product.

Chaz

shoresigns

We've done this before and it looks fine after it's dried. There's a slight "halo" effect where the frosted film jumps from the glass to the vinyl but it's even all around the contour and looks great.

Chasez

Just thought of something else, depending on how big the substrate is and if you have a laminator, you could run it through that to put the etch down. That way you eliminate using an application solution altogether.

Chaz

mdjamesd

What about printing the entire image on MacTac frosted in reverse, applying that to the acrylic, then wet applying a contour cut white piece by hand?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Then his main image would be diluted by frosted vinyl....I assume he doesn't want the image frosted.

Gary Wiant

We do everything dry, so I'd do it dry. Using the laminator is a good idea as is contour cutting the image out of the etch with the etch slightly smaller then the image and appling the etch over the image.