• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice needed on Roland versus Graphtec

JesperN

I'm sorry for this dual-posting, but I really need som quick responses to this. I have asked the same question on UKsignboards, since there are very few here in Denmark that runs with a setup like our where we use multiple Roland machines via VersaWorks. And the ones that do use Roland, would never consider buying another brand of cutter.

I need some advice on the following:

We currently have a setup based around Roland's VersaWorks v2 powering a SP300 and a SP540.

But we are about to buy one af the new Roland Versaart and want to combine that with a cutter.

As far as I can see it, we could have a nice workflow if we upgrade to VersaWorks 3 and the hook the SP's and Versaart up to it. And if we choose a Roland GX-cutter then we can connect that to VersaWorks too and then be able to run different jobs across the machines, so that we can print on SP or Versaart and then cut it on the GX or choose to cut it in one of the SPs.

BUT, I have seen the Cut-Through feature on the Graphtec-cutters and can see some posibilities in that, since we have clients that requests decals with cut-through. But I have also noticed that Roland is providing the same kin af feature (called perfCut) in VersaWorks 3. The Grapthec is build for cut-through and have a second knife-position for this, so that i dosen't wear the strib and knife too much. The Roland do not have this, and just raises the knife-pressure and thefore must put a harder strain on the knife and cuttingstrib.

If we buy a Roland GX-cutter, it can easily be integrated in out existing setup and work directly together with the printers/print/cut. If we buy a Graphtec we additional software to run the Graphtec and remember to put the required cut-marks in each layout that need to be cut in the Graphtec. I can allready see a lot of wasted vinyl because somebody forgets to place these marks in the layout because they are used to run the jobs through VersaWorks that places its own marks.

So this is actually the question:
If we would like to be able to do cut-through / perCut, should we then choose a Graphtec or a Roland cutter - seen in the light that we allready have a Roland-setup and are used to theese mashines?

I really hope you guys can come with some advices on this, since this is actually the final thing we need to decide before buying the machines - and we desperately need them....
icon_cry.gif

Best regards
/Jesper

With the Versaworks 3.13 you have a new option of PerfCut using Adobi Illustrator. You can contour cut stickers, then have it perf cut the sticker to pop out. Also, with the new Versaworks you can print & cut ONE row at a time...say you have 200 stickers in rows of 10...the printer will print then cut & PerfCut the first 10 stickers, then the next 10 stickers... These new options may save you buying a new cutter.

Jim Doggett

Graphtec for cutting, hands-down. It's better than all roll-fed cutters, in pure cutting ability. Summa, I believe, has more accurate and automated contour-cutting ability. So if only contour-cutting, Summa would be the ultimate choice, I think.

And I'd also suggest that separate print and cut is the way to go. One machine prints while the other cuts, making for a more productive workflow. Or if you're not so busy that that matters, I think you'd still want to put wear-and-tear on the cutter, not the printer. The G forces in cutting is pretty rugged stuff, especially when material becomes heavier due to lamination. I think that puts undue strain on the printer, over time.

Print and cut is very appealing, and Roland deserves all the success they've earned with print-and-cut machines. But in an optimized workflow, separating those tasks is the more professional solution, IMHO.

Best,

Jim

SOA

With the Versaworks 3.13 you have a new option of PerfCut using Adobi Illustrator. You can contour cut stickers, then have it perf cut the sticker to pop out. Also, with the new Versaworks you can print & cut ONE row at a time...say you have 200 stickers in rows of 10...the printer will print then cut & PerfCut the first 10 stickers, then the next 10 stickers... These new options may save you buying a new cutter.

Versaworks 3.13?? were still on 3.1.1....i just looked on rolanddg.co.uk and i cant see that upgrade yet?
that perfcut sounds like a god send, how longs that been out??