• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice Needed

Hello all!
I own a sucessful auto tint shop and I want to add auto wraps and digital printed banners to my business.
I noticed while surfing the net more than a few greenhorns like myself have dropped big bucks on equipment only to have to take it in the shorts when it didnt pan out.

Heres what I have been thinking about doing:

Take a training class at fellers
buy some software while Im there
go home and buy the correct computer
design some wraps for my shop vans
outsource the printing
wrap the vans
design some advertising for the shop and outsource the printing
Land some sales and outsource the printing
do this till the time is right to buy my own printer cutter laminator ect.
If it didnt work out I can sell the software on signs 101
keep the computer and will have learned something about the wrap business and not have to take a big hit on expensive shop equipment.

Am I on the right track? thanks in advance for any input.

ChiknNutz

Wow, someone with some sense for a change....PRICELESS!!!!

No, really, you are definitely on the right track.

BTW, where are you located?

ChiknNutz

Yes, but all we've done so far are on box trucks and tailgates. We have a partial to do here pretty soon though. I went to the first wrap class that Pacific Coast Sign Supply held with Oracal, down in Vancouver at Sandy's Signs. You might want to check into that one to see when the next one is.

weaselboogie

If you're a newbie at graphics and whatnot, I'd have to say you're one of the smartest newbies I've seen in a long time. If it doesn't pan out, you haven't lost as much if you jumped in with both feet.

Craig Sjoquist

well even though your have some common sence on your approch and all there is one real big thing ya left out

do you have any design or commercial art schooling or just happen to be a good artist in some way where ya THINK you don't not any schooling

please don't take offence but 70% of this ability to design advertising or graphics..but this can be learned too, plus years of experance,

git r dun

well even though your have some common sence on your approch and all there is one real big thing ya left out

do you have any design or commercial art schooling or just happen to be a good artist in some way where ya THINK you don't not any schooling

please don't take offence but 70% of this ability to design advertising or graphics..but this can be learned too, plus years of experance,

git r dun

Im old skool.Started out w/ wall projector, hand cut. then gerber 15" sign maker, auto graphics were hand designed as you go with rolls of tape.Got out of the sign business for a long time and when i came back
computers were the rage.
I will need training in photoshop....and will prolly hire a kid who can do it.

thanks for the input guys!

gvgraphics

I have to agree, you are on the right track to have a successful business model. Good luck on your new endeavors.

This thread is PRICELESS and needs to be viewed by all the new comers!!!

weaselboogie

I have to agree, you are on the right track to have a successful business model. Good luck on your new endeavors.

This thread is PRICELESS and needs to be viewed by all the new comers!!!

Agreed. Its refreshing to see someone start smart, instead of all the idiots who see this as an easy field and come here looking for free handouts.

d fleming

Our sister shop is a tint shop that we put a printer and plotter in. Excellent product addition to the already there customer base. You are definitely on the right track. Best of luck.

signage

Welcome to the forums from PA and I have to agree with the rest at least you have some commonsense on how to start out!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA............

There are lots of places to get your wrap experience first hand. Just some have better teachers than others. The process is basically the same no matter what media you choose. Therefore, I would also consider a 3M class.

D&Tgraphics

Seems like your on the right track. I wish more people would see things the way you do. I guess that's why your tint business is succesful.