• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Advice on buying used wide format for small shop

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've been putting off getting a printer because I feel like I'll be obligated to do it ALL in house and I don't have the time. I love just having the stuff show up at my doorstep.

Craig Keller

I'm a small print shop subbing out all my wide format.
I'm looking to get a used printer at least 36" that can do banners and vinyl. I don't need cutting.
Any recommendations on what to get that balances cost and utility? What to avoid?
I'm looking at an hp designjet 1055cm
Guy are u in the usa?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Pretty much any printer smaller than 54” will eventually make you wish you got a printer that’s bigger.

much cheaper to start off at 54” or 64” than to buy a 36” and realise everyone is ordering 4’ or 5’ wide banners and your printer is too small.

Worth noting that there is still a learning curve in owning and maintaining a printer. Then all the ink and other consumables. It might not save you as much as you think.

And as everyone else has mentioned, eventually you’ll need a laminator and cutter if you want to start bringing more in house.

AGCharlotte

the printer you're looking at is aqueous. Labels/Banners off it will not hold up outside for very long. The DesignJets are for printing Posters and Fine Art Prints, not signage and banners.