• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on dealing with a non-paying customer?

jrsc

I agree with addie. Thats what we do or if we are nice threaten to do first. It's illegal to write a bad check and where we live the sheriff will show up on his doorstep to collect funds from a bounced check. Our bank also has a system where if a check bounces they will electronically collect the funds from the persons account as soon as it becomes available. They gave us stickers to post saying that by writing us a check you agree for this to happen.

SignAnnex

I've spoken with him in person twice and for some reason he still answers every time I call. He insists he "just doesn't have the money” but that he'll have in in a few days... I’d love to take the faces out of the signs but I’m not trying to get into legal trouble. I think cashing the check regardless of the available funds is the next step after a final warning. Thanks for the input guys.

visual800

You might want to call daily to his bank ( the bank on the check )to see if the money is in the account. The bank can't tell you how much is in there, but they can tell you if it's enough money to cover your check.

You're not going to make any friends with this guy when he finds out the money that he had planned on spending on his new chairs and tables has mysteriously disappeared out of his account to pay his off his sign.

Call the bank and if by chance the money is there, DROP EVERYTHING AND RUN TO THE BANK to get that money before he uses it. Get that check in cash and then wait for the pissed off call from your customer. You're not going to make friends with this guy, but you're going to get paid.

this one!

royster13

I know it is really easy to get mad at him but I am sure he did not do it intentionally....Be nice and do not panic and your "good karma" will come back to you...If he just opened a new restaurant he probably underestimated the cost to get open.....

Kottwitz-Graphics

If the teller says "almost" ask her how much you need to deposit for it to clear.

If that don't work then Cill, Cill, Cill.

A teller can't tell you how much is there, or even if it's close...

I did remember a while back reading about a guy that asked the teller "Theoretically, how much money would I have to deposit to make the check clear?" The teller told him an amount, he pulled the cash out of his pocket (seems like a small amount), asked her to deposit that into the account... she did, and then he "presented" the check for payment...

In all honesty, I just went through this with a church. They kept saying that they had to get a check from so and so, etc... Same old story for almost a month... I just kept calling every couple of days, just asked for a check. I told them that I had to pay my electricians out of my pocket, and some other supplies, and it was starting to cause problems with my creditors... They did get my money, and everything worked out...

thankfully your deposit covered the materials,etc. I understand that it sucks,but getting lawyers ,collections etc involved sucks too. Iwould ask him straight up 'obviously he is juggling,money is tight,what can you do? Weekly/monthly payments of x$' & if you can live with it..it is better than giving a percentage up for collections, & you maintain a client (if you want him in the future)

starting a new business is hard,doesnt make what he did right but there might be other options worh exploring. If you accept credit cards ask him which one he wants you to run & let him pay them back at his leisure.

I agree with addie. Thats what we do or if we are nice threaten to do first. It's illegal to write a bad check and where we live the sheriff will show up on his doorstep to collect funds from a bounced check. Our bank also has a system where if a check bounces they will electronically collect the funds from the persons account as soon as it becomes available. They gave us stickers to post saying that by writing us a check you agree for this to happen.

I wouldn't warn him, he can just stop payment on it.

CheapVehicleWrap

A teller can't tell you how much is there, or even if it's close...

I did remember a while back reading about a guy that asked the teller "Theoretically, how much money would I have to deposit to make the check clear?" The teller told him an amount, he pulled the cash out of his pocket (seems like a small amount), asked her to deposit that into the account... she did, and then he "presented" the check for payment...

In all honesty, I just went through this with a church. They kept saying that they had to get a check from so and so, etc... Same old story for almost a month... I just kept calling every couple of days, just asked for a check. I told them that I had to pay my electricians out of my pocket, and some other supplies, and it was starting to cause problems with my creditors... They did get my money, and everything worked out...

Yeah, it was my post and my uncle who the teller told "real close this time". WOW, you got money from a church?

Techman

Deposit the check. If it bounces that escalates it to a writing a bad check which in most states I believe is a Felony.

The problem is that... In many states
You accepted a post dated check. You know it wasn't any good when you got it. Null and void in the court house.

Never take a post dated check. Always take a check dated correctly and tell them you will hold it for 10 days before depositing it..

Pray he does not know that.. Tell him you will deposit that check in whatever days you feel and then do it..

Custom_Grafx

Geez, another easy one!

Why not rock up with around 30 mates, eat a lot, drink a lot, have a good time.

When they ask for payment, tell em to put the invoice in the post and you'll get around to it.

signage

thankfully your deposit covered the materials,etc. I understand that it sucks,but getting lawyers ,collections etc involved sucks too. Iwould ask him straight up 'obviously he is juggling,money is tight,what can you do? Weekly/monthly payments of x$' & if you can live with it..it is better than giving a percentage up for collections, & you maintain a client (if you want him in the future)

starting a new business is hard,doesnt make what he did right but there might be other options worh exploring. If you accept credit cards ask him which one he wants you to run & let him pay them back at his leisure.

:goodpost: and like Techman said why did you let him do that?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I wish I could help give feedback on how to get your money ... as i've never taken post dated checks. now as for getting 'paid' ... if he gets to opening the restaurant ... and he still hasn't paid ... take it in trade ... just get x dollars he owes you in services at his restaurant or half in money half in services or whatever. ... you'll still have to claim it on taxes ... but you can claim it as a tax write off if it was for business. I've done a few jobs where the guy didn't have the rest of the money and we worked that deal out ... good stuff. god I miss that street truck ... he made the most awesome gyros ever.

oh and with it being a restaurant it's an example of the work you do if you bring customers there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know..... if this guy had some other kinda business, some of these ideas might be worth it, but getting your back-pay from eating there just seems a little bit in poor taste... and I mean that literally.

If the guy can't pay me and feels upset, I'd be afraid first of all that he spits in the food or something worse.
Next, why do you want to settle for his cost when you charged full price ?? He gets off even easier yet.

I'd still give him an ultimatum along with a letter of demand.... demanding full payment at that time.