• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on Hiring a Designer

andy

Surely a great designer needs to be allowed to operate to their full potential? I don't see the point in paying for a top notch designer and then asking your talent to sweep the floor or cut a few metres of vinyl... a great designer can only give you the full potential offered by their talent IF they are actually designing.

There is also no point in hiring a talented designer only to trap them in the straight jacket which is "your way". Good designers usually come up with things that most sign guys hadn't even considered.... and that's exactly what you want, something different, something classy and something which looks and feels like it's been professionally designed.... not something which has been thrown together by a sign guy.

This leads on to production..... personally I wouldn't be all that bothered about weighing down your designer with the practicalities of production.... if you want to use a great designer to his or her full potential then you've got to expect to raise your game in the production stakes. If you are only interested in making products in the quickest and easiest way possible then I doubt you'll ever explore the true depths of your designers talent.... sure, they can come up with some ultra amazing work but what's the point? You aren't interested in adapting your production processes so this kind of work will never get made into a finished product.

signswi

Speaking as a Graphic Designer, most sign shops don't need GDs they need Production Designers or Prepress Technicians.

schramm

This is only a suggestion, why not go to a graphic design school and hire the best student to work from home or his dorm. My niece went to the graphic design school in Orlando and paid her way through school doing work for a lot of companies. College students do not need a no compete contract as they don't care about anything but making money. Seriously these young designers are the best and have the assistance of they educators. You are helping them almost as much as they are helping you.