• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on laminator

artofacks1

Is anyone using this laminator?

Is it better to get a laminator with a crank instead of the air compressor?

C8F24839-B7CB-4D96-AEA7-F8EFA61054AD.jpeg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I like a crank because I like to feel the tension but our table is air which is also nice and haven't had any need to adjust the roller pressure. It's harder to find the china laminators that aren't pneumatic.

rjssigns

IMO air compressor = one more thing to "F" up and added noise.

Really beginning to hate the noise in the lab. Going to start wearing ear protection. Ears are still ringing a bit from last night.

Notarealsignguy

They usually come with a small oil free compressor that is really quiet. They don't use much air either but I do agree it is easier to just plug the thing in the wall. The little hose running on the ground is what annoys me

Z SIGNS

The best laminator for your shop would be a flatbed.
You can use it for other stuff too.
We have both. Rarely use the roll laminator.

Waste of time setting it up for one offs

Notarealsignguy

I don't like laminating on our table. I'd always want a roll machine too but that's just me.

regardstobuck

I have owned two of the laminators like the one above. Different brands but basically the same thing. Zero issues. You do have to adjust them a bit when you get them to roll/laminate evenly… not hard to do. For the price they are hard to beat. On Friday we laminated 80 consecutive feet without issue. The heat assist is a bit of a joke. It works but has a difficult time regulating temp. Get the widest one, even if you only print 54” also the trimmer attachment is handy. just my 2cents.

regardstobuck

Also… I should say both of mine have had the crank. Not the compressor. I personally like the crank, can’t speak for the compressor style.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

curios about this flatbed. does it work as a work table as well?

artofacks1

They usually come with a small oil free compressor that is really quiet. They don't use much air either but I do agree it is easier to just plug the thing in the wall. The little hose running on the ground is what annoys me
Do you know where I can find the small oil compressors ? Haven’t seen these before

truckgraphics

We have a Chinese made laminator similar to the one shown by the OP. It has worked great right out of the box. Well, we did have to find instructions for it online as they weren't included, but it was simple enough.

You only need the air compressor to change rolls of laminate. That is, the compressor is used to lift the top roller. There are no real adjustments that I know of and none have been needed.

We use a $35 Harbor Freight compressor with a 3 gallon tank and it works fine. It's lightweight, so great for airing up your vehicle tires too!