• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on lettering a trailer...

Tony Rome

I was wondering what type of vinyl people are using to letter trucks.
I am currently using Oracal 651 and just wondering if there is anything that may be a little easier to install over rivets?
Maybe they are all the same but I figured it is worth asking if someone has better luck with one over the other (especially install over rivets)
Thanks!

Jillbeans

You need to switch up to cast.
It's not a big price difference but even I can apply cast over rivets fairly well.
I always use cast on vehicles.
I save the 651 for banners, coro signs, and windows (I have found it is much easier to work with on glass than cast)
Oracal 751 is good and I also like Calon II.
Love....Jill

weaselboogie

I'm glad I'm not the only person that agrees with this. Unless someone demands the cheapest option possible, I put cast on EVERY vehicle.

I'm redoing a hood that I did 4 years ago because I accidentally used calendared instead of cast.

dman0427

I also use 751 a lot on trucks and such. 651 or any calendared vinyl will tent around the rivets in a short time, even if you do get it to lay down tight before it leaves your shop.
Cast is the best choice for this.
And as pete said, on some trailers it is much easier to apply the vinyl if you can take the fasteners out. It looks cleaner too! :)

Tony Rome

Thanks so much for all your help!
I will take your advice, I should have known that.

If I can't take the rivets out what is the best tool/method for installing?

Thanks again!

Checkers

Best method? Practice :)
Best tool? Cast vinyl and whatever other tools work for you. You can go "old school" with a rivet brush, air release tool and heat gun. Or, they have rivet pads, propane or mapp gas torches, the Rolle-pro or any number of other tools that may or may not work for you.
Try a few different ways and see what works best for you.

Checkers

animenick65

Pay extra attention when cleaning and prep around the rivets. Gunk and grime likes to build up around them and can screw your from the start, cast or not. Vinyl doesn't stick to dirt.

dfeicke

Agree with the above about the cleanliness. Do a little extra around the rivets.
I find the 651 to be a little stiff for any kind of conformity. Use the cast, preferably. It costs considerably more, but you shouldn't have to deal with problems later.

Tony Rome

Well i ordered the cast...what is the best liquid to use to clean rubbing alcohol, windex, dish soap and water....?
Thanks

Pat Whatley

Clean around the rivets with Rapid Prep or denatured alcohol. Apply a cast vinyl. Heat the rivets GENTLY and squeegee down, it's a lot easier than you think. Using a torch is faster than a heat gun but if you don't watch what you're doing you'll scorch the vinyl.

Don't remove the rivets.

M

MANNING

We have used 651 on everything(except custom colors) for ten years. Only one problem, met. gold turned black. In our area people are concerned with PRICE FIRST. Very few people keep their vehicle longer than 4 years. But to answer your question, cast is the way to go if you can charge for it.

Dale

dman0427

BTW windex has ammonia in it, which does not play very nicely with adhesive vinyl.

I wouldn't ever use it to prep a vehicle for vinyl graphics.

I had a customer install a decal (wet) on his windshield himself.
Customer: "somethings wrong with your vinyl. Its not sticking. I even let it sit overnight and it still didn't stick!"

Me: "you didn't use windex did you?"

And wouldn't you know, that's just what he used.

If Im not mistaken, didnt someone post a recipe of some sort to make a good cleaner?
A good wax remover is also important, especially on vehicles.