• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on small paint booth compressor?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have several compressors. The one we have close to that size is an Ingersoll Rand 5hp 60 gal. It runs continuously. A little more expensive, but in my opinion nothing to ever worry about. Harbor Freight is more or less when you need something in a hurry and don't expect it to last very long if used in an industrial environment.

rossmosh

Spec wise, the compressor will run a HPLV gun no problem. Will it cycle? Sure. You're talking about running off 60 gallons. Of course it's going to cycle. Will the compressor keep up with the gun? It shouldn't have a problem. Worst case scenario, you stop for 30 seconds while it refills. Not a big deal for most people. This isn't the right compressor if you plan on spraying hours every day. It's more than satisfactory if you plan on spraying a few hours here or there or heavy one week and light the next. This compressor is not the right choice for someone spraying 3-4 hours every day. It will work, it's just not the right choice.

As for the compressor itself, I personally have no experience with that one, but for the price they are hard to beat. Compressors are very simple. Worst case scenario is the motor takes a dump on you in a few years and you have to replace it for a few hundred bucks. You'll likely still be ahead if that happens.

Brian27

If you're going to spend that much on a compressor, you might as well spend slightly more and get a reputable brand with an actual warranty and available parts. We have a 15hp Ingersoll Rand Rotary screw now but we've had two IR Pistons in the past and we didn't pay much more than the one from harbor freight.

One bit of advice. Larger pistons compressors are notorious for filling up with water and contaminating your air. If you don't already, make sure you get a good filter to get the oil and water out.

d fleming

Just got a 100 gallon speed aire from a friend. Still need to install, already ran the 220 line. Will hard line the fab area so I don't have hoses all over. Can't wait to get it done.

rjssigns

If you're going to spend that much on a compressor, you might as well spend slightly more and get a reputable brand with an actual warranty and available parts. We have a 15hp Ingersoll Rand Rotary screw now but we've had two IR Pistons in the past and we didn't pay much more than the one from harbor freight.

One bit of advice. Larger pistons compressors are notorious for filling up with water and contaminating your air. If you don't already, make sure you get a good filter to get the oil and water out.

Yup. Whatever you get make sure it has or can add an automatic tank drain. If you paint a lot get a refrigerated air dryer too. Otherwise a good coalescing filter will work for air tool use then use a rig like I have. When I paint I run my air through a DeVilbiss DAD-500 desiccant dryer/filter. Makes air surgically clean.

This is what I use: http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...m-P5678.aspx?gclid=CPXWrvytz8oCFc6RHwod35QCdA

Brian27

Yup. Whatever you get make sure it has or can add an automatic tank drain. If you paint a lot get a refrigerated air dryer too. Otherwise a good coalescing filter will work for air tool use then use a rig like I have. When I paint I run my air through a DeVilbiss DAD-500 desiccant dryer/filter. Makes air surgically clean.

This is what I use: http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...m-P5678.aspx?gclid=CPXWrvytz8oCFc6RHwod35QCdA

All this.
Ideal setup, especially for spraying paint - Compressor > Refrigerated Dryer > Filter
I figure though if you're getting away with a small pancake compressor, or whatever you've been using, you probably won't need all that fanciness right away. Haha

OldPaint

compressed air..........equipment starts with a reliable compressor. you need to figure out what tools you will use on it, how often, and how long you will need air pressure. that is you 1st order of business.
now,
IF........ your paint guns are the older siphon type, these need a lot more CFM then a HVLP does. so you can get away with less hp and tank capacity. you can run a single HVLP from PANCAKE PORTABLE with no problem. now air tools, like 1/2" wheel wrench......3/8" ratchet, air powered jacks your need a lot more compressor and storage capacity. spendinf the money for a big compressor is something you do once and maybe 10-15 years again. so there is why you buy expensive compressors......they last a long time. i have a 5 h.p. sears 20 gal tank portable i bought in 1986-87!!!!! i have painted cars, boats, sandbalsted a boat trailer and many other things. was not cheap, but look how long its been workin))) i never leave it plugged it only run it when needed............drain the tank......often, have air dryer/regulator on the output side.

visual800

If you want American made check here: http://usamadeproducts.biz/tools-power-tools-air-compressors.html

Personally I have an old Coleman Black Max 2 stage. Got it from Sams Club close to 20 years ago. Still running.

Rotary screw compressors are another option. Pricy, but almost silent.

When the Black Max wears out I'm looking at rotary vane units. Just about silent and super efficient.

I too got the coleman black max from sams bought it in 1987 to this day I still have that damn thing not one issue at all with it. keep oil changed and filter clean. belive it or not I hve had the same hose for 15 years.

artbot

after going through two large "lowe's" style compressors, i bought a very old three cylinder 100 gal speedaire for $500. crazy quiet, tons of pressure. i'd also look into the craigslist option. they just don't make compressors in the sub- $1000 range very well.

Billct2

Do you already have the paint gun(s)? If not have you considered an HVLP Turbine Sprayer?
Unless you need the compressor for other uses they are a good option.
That's what we use and we've been very satisfied.

tbullo

Superunknown
Do you already have the paint gun(s)? If not have you considered an HVLP Turbine Sprayer?
Unless you need the compressor for other uses they are a good option.
That's what we use and we've been very satisfied.

I use a capspray 9900 here. They are great and can spray anything from Jay Cookes to fine automotive paints. I also have a 2 stage compressor that is mostly used for tools and sandblasting.

Jwalk

Oh wow you guys use paint and paint guns. Great.
I have a titan capspray turbine. They're good for certain type job, but the constant vacuum noise can get bothersome.
When we have a large crew painting away on a mural we go with a large tank compressor. Sometimes it's good when we lose a bit of pressure helps us render some tricky areas.

rossmosh

As far as I know, the main advantage of a turbine setup vs is a compressor is portability. Beyond that, I'm not sure there are many advantages to a turbine setup.

CreatedDesigns

I have a 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon Eaton Compressor no issues and is built like a tank the compressors you get from the box stores look like tinker toys compared to the Eaton. its worth a look for sure. I paint cars with mine and use SATA Spray guns both HVLP and the RP versions which use very large amounts of air. and the Eaton keeps up nicely. I also have a Kaser Refrigerated dryer hooked to it as well, nothing worse than water in your fresh base or clear.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/

OldPaint

for sandblasting anything........this is your best choice. can rent em. i am lucky thwe wife works for a big construction/maintenance company.....and i can barrow one when i need to.......

Attachments

• solair.JPG
    solair.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 103