• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

advice on software for this Newbie

stusvans

I'm very new to sign making, as purchase a cheap vinyl cutter to sign write my own van

I'm using Serif DrawPlus X6 and signcut draw/pro, I've struggled to size text for van, got there in the end and finding signcut hard to get around.

Looking for software that is more designed for sizing larger text for van signs, also like to be able to auto trace a picture, save its as a SVG and send to cut with out no problems, as my two programmes don't seem to be able to talk to each other.

I'm trying to build my budget up but limited at moment, once start turning a profit planning to put straight back in and build up for better cutter and software.

So any advice welcome

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you explored any real sign software programs ?? Some programs will do it all in-house under one roof. Check out Flexi, but be sure it's compatible with your cutter software.

Tracing a picture for cutting will basically only work for silhouettes.

What kinda signs do you specialize in at the moment or haven't you ever worked in a sign environment ??

Do you have a picture of your van ya just did ?? Like to see it. :rock-n-roll:

OldPaint

COREL...........X7 to X18)))) works well........been cutting from corel since 1992))) and have done a lot of vans.....and big trucks. this is the latest one.

Attachments

• mtrailer1.jpg
    mtrailer1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 81

Andy D

COREL...........X7 to X18)))) works well........been cutting from corel since 1992))) and have done a lot of vans.....and big trucks. this is the latest one.

Plus 1 Corel Draw.

Thread Hijack:

Old Paint, you print and plot directly from Coreldraw without using a third party plugin, correct?
If so, that's something I would like to know more about, is there a tutorial link you can suggest?
Thanks,
Andy

chester215

Just call me Chester.
For a newbie I do not recommend Signlab. The price may be attractive but it is a program you have to learn, not very intuitive.
Tried it for a while and went back to Flexi because it so so much easier to use

fresh

Plus 1 Corel Draw.

Thread Hijack:

Old Paint, you print and plot directly from Coreldraw without using a third party plugin, correct?
If so, that's something I would like to know more about, is there a tutorial link you can suggest?
Thanks,
Andy

We do too, we plot on our Graphtec FC8000 directly from Corel. But i'm not sure how we set it up, d'oh!

AND we used to be able to plot from two different computers, but at some point that got screwed up. (the computer that runs the printer broke, and then we were never able to get it set up correctly again.)

Anyway, next time I see my IT guy (my brother, ha!) I'll ask him how to do it.

OldPaint

cutting/plotting direct from corel:
1. YOU NEED A PLOTTER that has drivers available to do this.
or a plotter that is capable of HPGL interpolation.
2. its an easy setup with ROLAND OR GRAPHTEC......
3. i only KNOW ROLAND to COREL............ all i have every used.

WildWestDesigns

3. i only KNOW ROLAND to COREL............ all i have every used.

This also works from Roland to Ai and/or Inkscape. Using Win 7 and Linux.

There is an extension that allows for some extra functionality as well within Inkscape. Attached are pictures of the extension in the Linux version of Inkscape.

I had heard that Win 8 has changed how some things communicate. I don't use Win 8 except for designing and that was on computers that aren't connected to my cutter, so I have yet to verify if this is true or if there just needs to be some extra "tweaking" in the system. Just thought I would mention this in case a later OS is being used.

Attachments

• Extension 1.png
    Extension 1.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Extension 2.png
    Extension 2.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 105

stusvans

Thanks for some feedback

Thanks for feedback, forgot to add working off PC laptop, windows 10

what version of Coral recommended as looking from £60 - £600, I was wondering if illustrator would have been what I needed when I was looking at software till I saw the price.

Don't know how to reply to someones message, so putting it all in one reply.

I'm very new at this, No previous experience at all, so hoping to improve quickly with a little help.

I've only used 5m x 600 mm amount of vinyl so far, I've ordered more, should be down tomorrow

cheers
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0431.jpg
    DSC_0431.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 128

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While you don't appear to really be in the sign business, per se..... you managed to skirt around using a real sign shop with proper software and layout experience.

If these numbers are scaring you away, then I would bow out now, before you really lose some money, cause with your ability so far...... you're gonna starve. You cannot learn fast enough from looking at what you have so far. The only customer will be yourself for job signs and if ya manage to get another vehicle. Quit now, while you have the chance to make a clean getaway. :peace!:

CanuckSigns

While you don't appear to really be in the sign business, per se..... you managed to skirt around using a real sign shop with proper software and layout experience.

If these numbers are scaring you away, then I would bow out now, before you really lose some money, cause with your ability so far...... you're gonna starve. You cannot learn fast enough from looking at what you have so far. The only customer will be yourself for job signs and if ya manage to get another vehicle. Quit now, while you have the chance to make a clean getaway. :peace!:

I agree, and that's saying something, cause I never agree with Gino!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Corel X8 with win10 all the way! Way easier to learn and costs less. DO NOT GET THE STUDENT VERSION. Could get a cheaper earlier version too though.

Andy D

This also works from Roland to Ai and/or Inkscape. Using Win 7 and Linux.

There is an extension that allows for some extra functionality as well within Inkscape. Attached are pictures of the extension in the Linux version of Inkscape.

I had heard that Win 8 has changed how some things communicate. I don't use Win 8 except for designing and that was on computers that aren't connected to my cutter, so I have yet to verify if this is true or if there just needs to be some extra "tweaking" in the system. Just thought I would mention this in case a later OS is being used.

Thanks for the info Wild, but using a program that uses that font would drive me nuts.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks for the info Wild, but using a program that uses that font would drive me nuts.

All that can be changed. In Linux it's gsettings. It just pulls from what is in there.

For Windows, it's else where. Win 8 made it a pain to tweak those settings. Don't know about Win 10. Win 7 is fairly easy to change, but if you've never changed those settings period, it's more then likely your default.

Pippin Decals

I'm very new to sign making, as purchase a cheap vinyl cutter to sign write my own van

I'm using Serif DrawPlus X6 and signcut draw/pro, I've struggled to size text for van, got there in the end and finding signcut hard to get around.

Looking for software that is more designed for sizing larger text for van signs, also like to be able to auto trace a picture, save its as a SVG and send to cut with out no problems, as my two programmes don't seem to be able to talk to each other.

I'm trying to build my budget up but limited at moment, once start turning a profit planning to put straight back in and build up for better cutter and software.

So any advice welcome

Sent you a Pm ...

decalman

Corel works great for me.

With my Roland, it works direct, with my Summa its comes with a plug in, which almost works perfectly, except you got to do a little tweaking if your vector drawing, but I love the Summa with the Corel.

stusvans

not numbers scaring me

Its not the Numbers scaring me, its I just don't want to waste time on wrong software, reason for post, what I've done so far is with budget software, I've always loved visual stuff - art/photography/ architecture for example. after 30 years in the building game, now suffering with back problems, I'm looking at new adventure where I can control my work load and enjoy what I'm turning out visually

Once software sussed, better cutter/printer

Cheers

CanuckSigns

Its not the Numbers scaring me, its I just don't want to waste time on wrong software, reason for post, what I've done so far is with budget software, I've always loved visual stuff - art/photography/ architecture for example. after 30 years in the building game, now suffering with back problems, I'm looking at new adventure where I can control my work load and enjoy what I'm turning out visually

Once software sussed, better cutter/printer

Cheers

I think what Gino was trying to say is that software/equipment is not the issue here, the layout you posted is just a poor layout and not something you should be charging a client for. You can buy the greatest plotter and software in the world, it's not going to save that design. For an analogy it would be like someone going and buying the greatest DSLR camera with no knowledge of what makes a nice photo, a guy with a camera phone and the knowledge of how to compose a photo will always end up with a better photo.

Read up on sign design, what works/what doesn't and most importantly, why it doesn't work.

stusvans

I think what Gino was trying to say is that software/equipment is not the issue here, the layout you posted is just a poor layout and not something you should be charging a client for. You can buy the greatest plotter and software in the world, it's not going to save that design. For an analogy it would be like someone going and buying the greatest DSLR camera with no knowledge of what makes a nice photo, a guy with a camera phone and the knowledge of how to compose a photo will always end up with a better photo.

Read up on sign design, what works/what doesn't and most importantly, why it doesn't work.

I take all on board, wasn't charging was putting it on my own van, looks great from the other side of the road :covereyes: smaller signs for my son-in-laws van - reading and watching links, Like I put in earlier post very limited experience. I'm at the instant polaroid camera stage at the moment working towards Gold Plate Canon 1D :toasting: