• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice sought on day/night lightbox

signfab

Hi folks,
A few changes since I was last here. I was made redundant a couple of months ago when my employer close down the manufacturing side of his sign shop so I have stated a small sign fabrication shop manufacturing mainly for the sign industry.

As graphics isn't really my forte I'd like to pose the question here. I have a customer who wants an illuminated lightbox with a full colour digital print to illuminate at night with the word "OPEN" to illuminate white at night but during the day when not illuminated to have only the image visible.

My thought would be to print the image to perf vinyl on front of clear polycarb then a print in reverse of the image with "OPEN" in white to the rear of the polycarb.

Is this the way others would do it?

Matt.

reQ

Hm... if i understand it correctly, why not to vinyl cut it and stick on white lexan...?

afarraway

Is the sign supposed to show that he's only open at night, when the sign is illuminated (i.e. during the day it is blank and at night it shows open?)

afarraway

They don't want to see the text during the day, just the image.

I would suggest using either a digital print solid color in the front or a white/color sheet of lexan as reQ stated and plotting out opaque vinyl letters in the back to cast an "open" blocking shadow.
This will require a very high lumens output back light to create this effect and may have a anemic look.
This is a very interesting project, that I don't often see; most companies use an LED/Neon open sign that they turn off when closed.
I would personally recommend using a traditional LED/Neon open sign. If this is an option PM me for some LED/neon vendors.

reQ

Printed image on white lexan, attached to the rear will give you VERY washed out look when illuminated

MikePro

what is the daytime image?

most likely print a graphic on perforated vinyl, applied to face of lexan.
then, on backside of lexan, blockout entire panel with black vinyl with the word "OPEN" weeded-out.

image shows during daylight, and at nighttime the word "OPEN" glows bright right through the perforated vinyl.

afarraway

They would prefer the text to illuminate white.

I would suggest doing what MikePro stated and do an inverse weed. So that the open text portion allows light through. Maybe use film instead of blocking vinyl.
This may turn into being a really dark sign that is hard to see from a distance.

afarraway

Just curious, how did you come up with this concept of production over using a traditional open sign?
Why does the customer want the open part to "disappear"?

catldavis

Just curious, how did you come up with this concept of production over using a traditional open sign?
Why does the customer want the open part to "disappear"?

I don't think there's anything unusual with the request. If the sign is adjacent to a road, it makes sense he wants it for advertising during the day and to let everyone know they are open at night. I think it is rather clever.

signfab

Thanks for the suggestions.
The sign is as Catidavis says, the business is only open at night.

MikePro. Not sure what the image will be, probably someone eating a kebab.
The image and the text needs to illuminate at night but during the day when not illuminated only the image will show.

I guess what I'd like to know is if laying two images (one front and one back of the face) will cause any loss of sharpness due to a parallax error as viewing will never be directly head on?

reQ

I guess what I'd like to know is if laying two images (one front and one back of the face) will cause any loss of sharpness due to a parallax error as viewing will never be directly head on?

Should not be any problem if you will align them properly. I always do 2 sides on lexan faces when its full digital. Just take your time and make sure its aligned properly.