• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise on a rough condition truck?

SignManiac

Just received a call about wrapping this box truck. I had him send photos and it's in pretty rough shape. Just the prep work to clean it up will take some work. Rusted rocker panels on the cab. Would a truck in this condition even be a good candidate to wrap?

Three sides each with different company on each side. I think he would be better off letting me throw some aluminum panels on it. Would sure cut down on the labor to prep?

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 82
  • wrap2.jpg
    wrap2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 72

SignManiac

Yes I emailed him back and pretty much stated that might be the case upon me physically inspecting the truck.

Justin

I don't think wrapping it would be a good idea, but you could do vinyl lettering on it. I guess really it would depend upon what you call wrapping. I don't know where you are, but I wonder how crisp the paint is on that truck.. It looks like it could flake pretty easily. Is the guy going to paint it?

MatthewTimothy

also might mention not responsible for any damage to existing panels if removed. I wouldnt be surprised if that vinyl removed paint from his truck either.

btropical.com

Please do the work , not every chic has pert bigguns and bounce a quarter off her tailgate status . These vehicles are older and have a purpose and sometimes can be fun and just as effective in advertising . Oh yes they leak and have saggy bottoms but still get the job done . Do the work and enjoy the no pressure of an older vehicle to work on .

Justin

Please do the work , not every chic has pert bigguns and bounce a quarter off her tailgate status . These vehicles are older and have a purpose and sometimes can be fun and just as effective in advertising . Oh yes they leak and have saggy bottoms but still get the job done . Do the work and enjoy the no pressure of an older vehicle to work on .

I'm sure they weren't questioning doing it because it's an older vehicle, but because the paint is older, faded, and I personally have no idea whether vinyl would actually stick for say 8 years, or whatever the lifespan of vinyl the OP will/would use. I guess like the others have said, do it, and just not warranty it.

OldPaint

do you have any detail shops in your area??? or professional vehicle wash places? this is not one you want to put ANYTHING ON TOP OF ALL THAT DIRT AND CRAP!!!!! IF......they wont bring it to you in ready to apply vinyl condition, TELL THEM you charge as much for cleaning their vehicle........as you do for applying graphics.........that will get there attention.

SignManiac

Talked to him already and he deferred to my suggestion of not wrapping it, especially with no warrantee. Sold him on the idea of aluminum panels instead. It's just not worth wrapping a turd.

showcase 66

Had a guy ask me about wrapping his old uhaul a while back. The box looked worse than the one in the pics. I passed on it and told him, it wasnt worth wrapping and you would see all the damage still. About a month later I ran into him at homedepot and saw that somebody wrapped it. Told me he paid 600 for it all done. Took a look at it and whoever did it, printed on coroplast and screwed it on.

I had to laugh and shake my head.

skyhigh

Talked to him already and he deferred to my suggestion of not wrapping it, especially with no warrantee. Sold him on the idea of aluminum panels instead. It's just not worth wrapping a turd.

And the bright side.... He can take the panels with him when the truck breaks down on the side of the road.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with boxer, but with your set up maniac.... I would've washed the truck and then bombed it with a spray of clearcoat and then wrapped it. :rolleyes: