• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Affordable exterior sign systems ???

soundhound

Looking for another approach...

For many years we have used Howard Industries, et al. for our "parking lot" sign systems. The product was excellent, service as well... and the corporate customer didn't bellyache over the price.

Fast forward to 2010, and the prices are way up (totally expected)... but the corporate customer will do anything to cheap-out on these signs, and frankly, we do not have any "easy on the eyes" options to offer!

Has anyone devised a good-looking, durable exterior post & panel type of sign that is affordable, yet still a step up from a u-post or galvanized square post system???

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could you possibly post up a picture of what you are requesting or in search of, so we could make a better recommendation for you.

If someone [a customer] is merely crying about the high costs of doing business, tell them to look further than what you can offer in order to meet their tiny pocketbook. Why should you do all the leg work for someone that isn't even committed yet ??

If your corporate customers are willing to cheap-out at all costs.... then perhaps you need to look for new customers, instead of looking for cheap set ups. That seems so non-productive.

soundhound

I am talking about a stop sign... for example

I don't blame the customer for cheaping out.

One one hand there is a $50 stop sign and a $40 u-channel post.

On the other is a custom painted extruded aluminum channel post with cap, and a hexagon cut .125 aluminum panel, custom painted and decorated with reflective vinyl for $600.

Has anyone got any ideas how to deliver something somewhere in the middle?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alright, since you're out here on the free boards, I can't go into this as much as I'd like, but suffice it to say.... you are collapsing under your cheap-O customers.

Haven't you got it in you to remain with the top notch materials and customers and not lower your standards to those who don't want to spend nor part with their money ?? Rather than keeping your reputation as a shop that does the best.... you wanna become known and actually search for means to do mediocre work.... well, I'm afraid I don't have answers for that kind of thinking.

I think you need to re-think your business plan or your shop model.

soundhound

Not collapsing... looking for alternatives.

I have no problem holding the line on pricing... I am just not really convinced that this is really a line worth holding.

I don't get wildly enthusiastic when I find out that signs are selling for 100s of percents more than they appear to be worth... and just because something is less costly to produce does not make it "mediocre."

The solution to everything is NOT to just throw money at it. My customers are showing me that every time they stick a cheap post in the ground rather than call me for an architectural solution... and I address the "mediocrity" of a sign industry that has no mid-line solution for a better looking simple post sign.

Mosh

We weld up our our post and panel stuff. Howard is good stuff, but we get the same look for about half the price. But we have our own welding shop and powder coater is down the street.

Billct2

There are systems out there designed to work with standard dibond panels. You buy the posts and supply your own panels.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Um... The 600 dollar post and panel is the mid-line solution...

The 50 dollar stop sign is on the extreme low end (and probably not compliant) and probably not worth being considered by a client of a mid to high end property.

If you are dealing with onesy twosy signs, it's gonna cost no matter what, price goes down with a complete system, and you can (if your shop has fabrication capacity) make your own system that may be a bit affordable and profitable and better looking than the stock crap.

marcsitkin

Attachments

• IMG_1391_800x600.jpg
    IMG_1391_800x600.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 94
if stop signs are what you are looking for there is multiple suppliers like traffic safety that have competitive prices.

if you are looking for post and systems there are many alternatives just depends on budgets.

soundhound

GREAT RESPONSES...
I would sure like to know more about the dibond post system mentioned, and anything like it that is modular and flexible.

Anybody got a supplier name?

AUTO-FX

try this, go to www.laminatorsinc.com and check out their products. There's lots of useful info on the panels and uses. I think you would have availability of their products as they are located in this part of the country (actually Hatfield ,PA)
Also check out Harbor Sales , I think they go up that far but i'm not positive.:thumb:

soundhound

Some good stuff--- still looking.

Thanks BillCT for the dibond link! That stuff looks pretty good... anyone have experience with the powder coated finishes outdoors?

Still googlin away looking for more options...