• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Affordable exterior wall mounted sign substrate around 1/8" to 3/16" thickness.

Boyblue

What size are we talking about and how many ?? How are they to be mounted ?? How fragile is the area they are gonna go ?? In other words, could you use gator ?? I know you don't have flatbeds in your neck of the woods, but are you putting digital prints on these as well..... or die-cut vinyl ??
Sizes 24x36, 24x24 & 24x16. Mounted with double sided tape (mostly to stucco - suggestions on specific tape welcome). The areas range from rough & tumble to upscale. I found out that the New kids on the block do have a flatbed. The final quote I'm waiting on and probably should have been the first is the direct print quote from a volume shop in south Florida, but as it stands the plan is to have a shop print to vinyl & laminate and then apply the printed vinyl to a substrate.

My substrate sales rep says no one will guarantee exterior work on PVC or Polystyrene but it's done all the time because it's so cost effective. Another bit of info he shared, may convince me that Vinyl over Polystyrene is better than direct to polystyrene. He reminded me that any yellowing might be slowed by the vinyl with UV overlam and even if it isn't slowed it would definitely be hidden.

I was so convinced that I didn't bother getting the Max-metal price.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, this is just a continuation of your other thread ??

Whether you use PVC or styrene, down where you're at, it won't make a difference if it's covered with vinyl or not. Other things affect those substrates, besides UV.

I'm getting the distinct impression, you don't know what you're doing.... or at least what you should be doing.

You want something to hold up in your area for at least a year, without fading, cracking or buckling, but you want it lightweight, so you can use tape, but strong enough to withstand your customers requests. You want to do this to several hundreds of signs without any prior testing of ANYTHING. Are you frickin' nuts or what ??

Sometimes, there comes a point in which you hafta bite the bullet and either tell this customer, he/she has too many non-working variables or you simply cannot provide what they need. Do you know what kinda losses you might rack up in a matter of no time, especially if you're guessing wrong ?? You probably should pass on this and see what some professional will do in your area and learn from them, if no one in your company knows.

You're in an area where almost everyone on this forum is only guessing themselves and speculating, but at your expense. Don't be a fool and take a chance on something this big, unless you have the cushion to absorb it if it fails.

Boyblue

So, this is just a continuation of your other thread ??

Whether you use PVC or styrene, down where you're at, it won't make a difference if it's covered with vinyl or not. Other things affect those substrates, besides UV.

I'm getting the distinct impression, you don't know what you're doing.... or at least what you should be doing.

You want something to hold up in your area for at least a year, without fading, cracking or buckling, but you want it lightweight, so you can use tape, but strong enough to withstand your customers requests. You want to do this to several hundreds of signs without any prior testing of ANYTHING. Are you frickin' nuts or what ??

Sometimes, there comes a point in which you hafta bite the bullet and either tell this customer, he/she has too many non-working variables or you simply cannot provide what they need. Do you know what kinda losses you might rack up in a matter of no time, especially if you're guessing wrong ?? You probably should pass on this and see what some professional will do in your area and learn from them, if no one in your company knows.

You're in an area where almost everyone on this forum is only guessing themselves and speculating, but at your expense. Don't be a fool and take a chance on something this big, unless you have the cushion to absorb it if it fails.

Florida has very similar weather. Okay, so you read the OP, and rather than share your experience with PVC & polystyrene for your fellow sign makers to have as a reference, you come to a thread that has had good discourse (not just for for my edification) to bully me?

We're not climbing Mount Everest here man, and again you're right, I don't know what I'm doing, but that's why I ask questions. I've already cut our projected cost by over $50,000 so you can harass me all you want, I'm going to stick around until I do know what I'm doing .

That is unless you have me booted for imitating a sign man :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Florida has very similar weather. Okay, so you read the OP, and rather than share your experience with PVC & polystyrene for your fellow sign makers to have as a reference, you come to a thread that has had good discourse (not just for for my edification) to bully me?

We're not climbing Mount Everest here man, and again you're right, I don't know what I'm doing, but that's why I ask questions. I've already cut our projected cost by over $50,000 so you can harass me all you want, I'm going to stick around until I do know what I'm doing .

That is unless you have me booted for imitating a sign man :)

What's your problem blueboy ?? I did share my experience and thoughts, but you seem to ignore everyone's dos & donts and just plow through like nothing's going to affect you.

What does Mt Everest have to do with your story ??

As for educating you, we're all here trying to help, not give you an education on something you know nothing about. Can't teach people like you..... one can only make suggestions and you just take whatever sounds easiest and best for your needs.

Like I just told someone else, I could care less what you say or do.... I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. Your numbers really mean nothing to me or anyone else. That seems more for your benefit to show off..... or show how wa-a-a-ay off you were to begin with, which further proves you're outta your league. But you just keep plugging away and eventually you'll get someone to agree with you.

No one (that I know of) wants you booted from here. Its you and other hobbyist like you, that makes this place entertaining anymore. There aren't anymore in depth questions or discussions, just silly things like this one which keeps us all occupied.

Boyblue

What's your problem blueboy ?? I did share my experience and thoughts, but you seem to ignore everyone's dos & donts and just plow through like nothing's going to affect you.

What does Mt Everest have to do with your story ??

As for educating you, we're all here trying to help, not give you an education on something you know nothing about. Can't teach people like you..... one can only make suggestions and you just take whatever sounds easiest and best for your needs.

Like I just told someone else, I could care less what you say or do.... I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. Your numbers really mean nothing to me or anyone else. That seems more for your benefit to show off..... or show how wa-a-a-ay off you were to begin with, which further proves you're outta your league. But you just keep plugging away and eventually you'll get someone to agree with you.

No one (that I know of) wants you booted from here. Its you and other hobbyist like you, that makes this place entertaining anymore. There aren't anymore in depth questions or discussions, just silly things like this one which keeps us all occupied.

LOL I just meant climbing Mt Everest is difficult, you can get all of the forum help possible, and you'd still fail. Applying printed vinyl to a substrate is not, with help from folks like you, I can get it done. I get your vibe though Gino, this is a professional forum and I am not a professional sign maker. As I've mentioned, I never hid that fact, as a matter of fact I wrote the powers that be that I'd be willing to remove myself, but maybe they've allowed me to remain because there is room here for "in-house" sign makers. Maybe we should have our own corner where we won't disturb you guys.

Before I post I read the forum and if there were a thread on styrene vs PVC yellowing, I would have read it, I didn't find anything so I asked. I guess you can call it a continuation, it is related to the same job, but I started a new thread because it is a different subject. I was considering two substrates and I asked a members to compare. Why does that lead to a conclusion that I can't learn, you say you can't educate me but you have. I came to Sign 101 with intentions of going A to Z with our small signs. You and others have convinced me that there is a way to save and share the load and that's what I'm doing.

Johnny Best

If you are not looking for anything to last more than a year, order some banners and tapcon them on to the building wall. Will look better than a thin styrine sign that will have waves in it when installed and not be as expensive.
Get them deliveried to Miami from Signs365 and then into a container shipped to Bahamas.
You can get a flag made from them also so you can plant it atop Mt. Everest.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Dildoswaggins is at it again. Hey OP, what if you print it wrong and some kid comes up to it and looks at it and the signs flys off the wall and hits him in the face while is mother is standing there and then the second one flys off and hits her in the face and they both end up at the hosipital and you get sues and you have to sell everything and you end up on the street turning tricks and use drugs to cope with everything then you go to jail and meet bubba? Yea you should let this one go and let the "pros" handle it. Then check out later they just used banners or ACM and go, "Duh, thats what I was gona use! I let Dildoswaggins talk me out of another one!"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dildoswaggins is at it again. Hey OP, what if you print it wrong and some kid comes up to it and looks at it and the signs flys off the wall and hits him in the face while is mother is standing there and then the second one flys off and hits her in the face and they both end up at the hosipital and you get sues and you have to sell everything and you end up on the street turning tricks and use drugs to cope with everything then you go to jail and meet bubba? Yea you should let this one go and let the "pros" handle it. Then check out later they just used banners or ACM and go, "Duh, thats what I was gona use! I let Dildoswaggins talk me out of another one!"

Haha.......... There ya go again with the name calling and stuff. Make light of whatever ya want...... it's still quite obvious, this OP is in over his head. If you can't see it, then I guess you're in the same boat.

Oh yeah, let me see........ the advice you gave was spot on. As always, your insight is so helpful not only for the OP, but future viewers down the road who really don't understand your stupidity, but read your gibberish. You're about as helpful as Anne Frank's drumkit. Just go back in your hole and hibernate til next Spring. We'll call ya when we need ya.

Johnny Best

Boyblue has gone from climbing Mt. Everest to being sued and losing everything and then turning tricks and doing drugs.
He just asked about what substrate to use.
Texas Signmaker has been watching too much Access Hollywood.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I, like Mr. Swaggins, just want him to think of ALL the possible outcomes. If he dare proceed with making such dangerous 2x3 signs he needs to know hes getting in over his head and asking for trouble. I'm with dildoswaggins on this one, leave it to the pros! Have them call Mr. Swaggins so he can properly print the signs off on copy paper and stick them in clear covers and scotch tape them to the wall.

Johnny Best

Like the OP said, he is learning and he is asking the professionals questions so he gets it right. He is in the Bahamas, not like there are sign professionals or sign supply shops everywhere.

So we have Gino as Dildoswaggins, that must make you the Wizard Jackalf.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whadda ya expect from Kenny ?? He keeps getting killed off, but constantly coming back like flies on sh!t. Just no stoppin' him. Do ya hear him ?? He's a comin' back for more...............................

Boyblue

I'm good with the 040 styrene, It's going to be covered by vinyl and laminant so the yellowing will be going on out of sight. According to my supplier (based in Florida), in the tropics we don't get that wide temperature range, so the substrate won't get brittle as quickly. It will be good for at least a year.

We have those Polystyrene Open & For Rent signs all over the place and they actually fade before they yellow.