• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

After a decade of Versaworks I tried Onyx....

victor bogdanov

Onyx Thrive 422 and I have to say I was expecting way more out of it compared to free Versaworks. UI and rip time is better in Versaworks. 5 print queues in versawork are very convenient. but of course versaworks only works with roland printers.

props to versaworks I always though other paid rips would be way better, guess not

FrankW

In comparison with the print queues, you can set up much more than 5 quick sets in Onyx.

victor bogdanov

In comparison with the print queues, you can set up much more than 5 quick sets in Onyx.
Not really the same thing, I can't have 5 different tabs in onyx with files 1 click away from printing that can be printed at any time without messing with settings or "recycling"

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Not really the same thing, I can't have 5 different tabs in onyx with files 1 click away from printing that can be printed at any time without messing with settings or "recycling"
Not sure what you're doing to have 5 tabs open?

With onyx, it's all about automation and a set workflow.

Either you create quicksets and open your files with a quickset and it'll RIP the file and have it queued up ready for print. (Even easier, drag files to hot folder)
Or you can open with job editor, apply your profiles etc and it'll RIP it to your rip queue.

In onyx, you can choose if you send all your files to the printer individually or nest them. So you can have 30 files in the queue, press print and it'll print all nested or send 30 individual files.

You're obviously new to onyx. It'll take time to adjust.
It's a great platform. Great tools, great automation and plenty of neat little features.

victor bogdanov

Not sure what you're doing to have 5 tabs open?

In versaworks I use the tabs for lets say: Tab A: stuff that comes in and how to be printed NOW , Tab B: files I print repeatedly on certain days of the week, Tab C: repeating files I print every Friday Tab D, files for a certain product we make - all the files are ripped and one click away from printing

Now in Onyx I'll have have all that mixed up in one place

I'm sure Onyx has way more features and is a better software I'm just pointing out that Versaworks has Onyx beat on user interface.

I just finished 2 full days of onsite training with Onyx

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
In versaworks I use the tabs for lets say: Tab A: stuff that comes in and how to be printed NOW , Tab B: files I print repeatedly on certain days of the week, Tab C: repeating files I print every Friday Tab D, files for a certain product we make - all the files are ripped and one click away from printing

Now in Onyx I'll have have all that mixed up in one place

I'm sure Onyx has way more features and is a better software I'm just pointing out that Versaworks has Onyx beat on user interface.

I just finished 2 full days of onsite training with Onyx
interesting workflow you have going on.

Onyx is more printing now or getting ready to print.
It's it wont work how you're doing it as that's more of a job manager sort of thing.

Everything in the queue is to be printed. - open file - select quickset - send to printer.

"Tab B" if it requires specific settings, Create a quickset. Put the hotfolder on the desktop. Drag the files in on those days. They're in the queue, ready to go.
Tab C - same as Tab B
Tab D - Same as Tab B

Quicksets and hot folders will be your friend. I have a quickset for every product we print.

You can drag and drop from the printed section back into the queue. I think there's a way to have specific jobs to auto delete to be able to keep the repeat jobs there only- im not 100% sure as i'm not at work to check for you.

CanuckSigns

When we made the switch from Versaworks to Onyx I really didn't "get" onyx either, i was expecting an amazing program for $2500!

It took me a while, but I wouldn;t go back to versaworks now, the automation and ease of use in onyx are far superior to versaworks in every way. the ability to add all kinds of marks and cut lines to an existing file is an amazing feature to have, especially with our summa fladbed cutter, I can add cut contour lines to customer supplied files with 1 click!

brdesign

I prefer Onyx over Versaworks, Onyx has so many features not available in Versaworks, although Onyx is not all that intuitive on finding these advanced features. Hot folders are the best part of Onyx, you can really automate a lot of the file setup process. Having a hot folder set up to automatically add bleeds or grommet marks is just one use. With hot folders, you can just drag and drop a file from any computer on the network once you have them set up.

Asuma01

When we made the switch from Versaworks to Onyx I really didn't "get" onyx either, i was expecting an amazing program for $2500!

It took me a while, but I wouldn;t go back to versaworks now, the automation and ease of use in onyx are far superior to versaworks in every way. the ability to add all kinds of marks and cut lines to an existing file is an amazing feature to have, especially with our summa fladbed cutter, I can add cut contour lines to customer supplied files with 1 click!
Add cut contour lines with 1 click? Do tell...

FrankW

I‘m shure even at Roland nobody have intended to use the „Tabs“ to sort Jobs like you do.

Mainly (99,9% i assume) use it to assign settings automatically to jobs they added into.

A warning: dont use Queues in RIP-Softwares for archiving (to reprint jobs accasionally). It slows down your software, and a crash can destroy them. You can save files ripped out of Versaworks.

DeadDoc

Those quick-sets are da-bomb! Sadly now half of mine are dead as I'm now a lite vs pro, Onyx user.

I may keep a handful of files in my recent job section but rarely do I intend to keep more than a potential job or a few sample prints for tests. Printer has good days but mostly bad days. I just need to remember to turn off the timer function some days before queuing up jobs. Heh.