• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aftermarket take up system and dryer

kylebrk

I have a Roland SP-540i and we are printing a ton right now. Last week my guys didn't let the prints cure long enough and destroyed 75% of the product. We lost a ton of money. They are telling me that they can't work at the pace I need them to if they have to wait on the prints to dry.

My solution is a dryer and take up system. The take up system from Roland is stupid expensive so I've found this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DavIKZEaDAQ&feature=player_embedded

It seems legit. I wanted to know what some of you thought. I don't care either way, so rip this thing apart. If you don't like this one and have a suggestion, let me know.

For the dryer, I know they exist. I just don't know any brand names or suppliers. Can anyone help with this? Im looking to buy this today. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Letterbox Mike

Regarding the dryer, look into the Digi-Dry unit from BBC industries. We have one and it works great. I personally think it may be a little overpriced for what it is, but it's not terrible and it solves a major problem so for us it's worth it. Their support is top notch too. 2 years after we bought ours, the temperature control knob stopped working and they sent us a replacement part no questions asked free of charge. I like their system because you can add multiple heating elements to it, they also have an optional timer to shut it off so you can leave it unattended. We don't have the timer, that's my only complaint about it, if you walk away from it and it sits there heating up a print that's done or not moving it will catch it on fire or at least significantly melt it (ask me how I know)...

phototec

Attachments

• !BtJRmigEWk~$(KGrHqIH-D!Evo1jM2gNBL6usVt6d!~~_3.jpg
    !BtJRmigEWk~$(KGrHqIH-D!Evo1jM2gNBL6usVt6d!~~_3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 150

Letterbox Mike

Is this takeup pretty universal or is it pretty specific to the Roland printers? I'm looking at it and wondering if it can be adapted to the Epson GS6000. That printer has literally the worst takeup system I've ever seen, I'd happily spend whatever cash I had to to get rid of it...

phototec

Is this takeup pretty universal or is it pretty specific to the Roland printers? I'm looking at it and wondering if it can be adapted to the Epson GS6000. That printer has literally the worst takeup system I've ever seen, I'd happily spend whatever cash I had to to get rid of it...

This take-up system is pretty universal, fits many wide format printers that have a similar cross brace between the legs, (see photo), not sure if it will work on your printer. But I have read a post on here a while back about someone who did some minor modifications to the mounting bracket to make one work on his printer.

You could always add a tubular brace of the correct size between the legs on your printer to mount this take up device. My horizontal brace measures 2" thick x 4" high, you use your own 3"core tubes cut to length for the take up spools.

Attachments

• contact_image.jpg
    contact_image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 130

Colin

These 3rd party T/U reels are a bit of a mystery. I have come across three different ones now, and they all look the same, but re-badged.

There's the "ReelPro" from Supply55........

The "WindUp" from England.......

...and the one I got included with my printer (no name on it).

They likely all come out of the same Chinese factory.

I'd say that they are the way to go however over the Roland one. The Roland Take-Up is a better unit; it uses a "dancer" system, but you still can't print & cut large (long) jobs with it either, so the $2000.00 price tag doesn't make sense.

Drip Dry

Does anyone know how they wind up at the same speed of the printer.
For instance, if I run different profiles, the printer runs at
different speeds... how does the takeup know it ?

Colin

It's a simple "tension", not a speed. The tension is adjustable so you can set it to pull gently or more robustly.

You cannot use it for a print & cut job.

AUTO-FX

I made my own dryer that works well and saved a bunch. I ordered a quartz rod heater, a router speed control, and a bathroom fan timer dial .Mounted it all on a mini handtruck from home depot. Everything from Amazon for under 200$. (except the hand truck)

phototec

These 3rd party T/U reels are a bit of a mystery.
They likely all come out of the same Chinese factory.

Yep, I did much research and figured that they all are made in China, but they are branded differently for different retailers, the main difference is in the cost of the mark-up (profit) for the dealer.

I think in this case, paying more will not get you a better Take-Up device, since they are made in a China factory. If you feel better paying more and want to support the middle man, then go ahead.