• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Age of Vinyl Stock

Custom_Grafx

I just noticed my last delivery of vinyl... the box looked old, and a bit damaged, opened it up, one of the plugs is snapped and the broken piece has damaged the butt of the roll... something just didn't feel right...

I looked at the batch date on the box, and it's 13 months old.

Would you be a b*tch and complain and demand a new roll or is this still usable?

njshorts

That's not a horrible vintage ;-) It's usable by age standards. If it happens from time to time, so be it- 13 months isn't as bad as it could get.

The snapped butt cover and damaged vinyl would be my issue.

Custom_Grafx

Maybe I should just make a light mention of it in that case? I think they should at least be made aware of how their stuff is getting handled. The damage seems to not go all the way in too far... still though, not a good first impression from a new supplier eh?

Out of curiosity, what's the oldest batch you would consider acceptable? I was under the impression shelf life is 12 months.

njshorts

I wouldn't accept anything older than 6 months regularly. The occasional 12-18 month old roll would be ok. That being said, I've used 5-6 year old Oracal 651- still has it's shine, still works well... just a hair more brittle.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Maybe I should just make a light mention of it in that case? I think they should at least be made aware of how their stuff is getting handled. The damage seems to not go all the way in too far... still though, not a good first impression from a new supplier eh?

Out of curiosity, what's the oldest batch you would consider acceptable? I was under the impression shelf life is 12 months.

Depends. I have vinyl that ranges in age to brand new to some that's at least seven years old. It all works. If you can cut it, weed it, mask it, and apply it without any issues, assume the media is OK regardless of age.