• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Agfa Anapurna "wait data" error

Andy D

I have been having an on and off issue with my Anapurna 2500i UV flatbed printer.
I will start taking long pauses between each print pass and sometimes will error out
as a "wait data" error. It's not the file because I can print a file and it's fine and the same
again and it starts with this issue...
any help would be appreciated.

WalkerP

You're running the Wasatch version of the Agfa RIP or another one? I've had Wasatch do that and had to do a re-install.

Andy D

You're running the Wasatch version of the Agfa RIP or another one? I've had Wasatch do that and had to do a re-install.

I use Onyx, I rip from one computer and send it to the printers dedicated computer.
Is that how your Wasatch was? If so, then it's the way my onyx is ripping the files?

Defrag your PC that sometimes helps

I did a scandisk and defrag on both of the drives on the computer that came with the printer, that's what the printer is running off of,
it hasn't helped :( it run windows 8 btw

Thanks for ya'll's help

klmiller611

I've had the same error on our Anapurna Mv since early January 2009, when our machine was a month old. I had our service tech out here a few times over it that first year, but I think he was about as clueless as I was on this one. Don't get me wrong, he knew a lot of the other things with no problem, but this was not a repeatable error. It happened with the simplest of files, and the most complex files, it was no predicting it.

The computer that drives the printer does nothing else, Windows XP, running Onyx 6, plenty or RAM, plenty of drive space. Have run defrag to no avail. It is a dedicated etehernet cable direct to the printer on a separate network card.

Now, this does not happen super often, maybe once a month now. When I see it occurring, I generally watch for a moment or two, see if it is going to pick back up. If not, I hit the escape key, but do not cancel printing, and sometimes it picks back up and goes on. On occasion, when I don't get over there in time, it will send the head, at rapid speed, to the end with the parking station, and bang it into the bumper. That has only happened 3-4 times over the years. I usually catch it before it does that. When that happens, it give me a communications error, there is nothing to do but restart the machine.

I'd love to find a solution rather than a work around on this one.

Best
Ken Miller

Andy D

Mine has been doing it on just about every print for the last two days....
The printer must know I'm trying to get ahead so that I can take my vacation...
I'll call a tech in when I get back....

Andy D

Definitely not the files, I opened up and printed
on of the test images that comes loaded with the printer, on the printer's computer,
and it's still doing it.

WalkerP

Hmm. That rules out the RIP then if the printer's PC is sending the test file and it's doing it. You have me stumped. If/when you get it figured out post for all of us!
Good luck!

Technician

Drive it hard
I think it could be communications problem from computer to head board. If I remember right u have a network cable in the chain up to the head board. U can try to connect a new cable out side of the chain and do test print and see if problem disappear. I did service on a Annapurna for a year ago with similar problems. Hope this helps u in the right direction.

Sterling_K

We had that problem on our Anapurna with Wasatch and it turned out to be corroded connections on the data cable where it plugs into the machine. I took the connection apart and soldered the wires direct. Cured the problem.

nrb

on onyx

Hi Andy,

Can you tell me if I need any special configuration to install in onyx? I try to install the Anapurna M for the first time and I get ip conection error even that I ping and seems to be communication, could it be the port type? hope you can advice me. thanks.
I use Onyx, I rip from one computer and send it to the printers dedicated computer.
Is that how your Wasatch was? If so, then it's the way my onyx is ripping the files?

I did a scandisk and defrag on both of the drives on the computer that came with the printer, that's what the printer is running off of,
it hasn't helped :( it run windows 8 btw

Thanks for ya'll's help

klmiller611

Andy

Did you get it sorted in then end if so how?

Looks like i am having a similar problem on an AGFA M2050

Bruce

Hi Bruce

I know I am not Andy, and he is probably glad of that, but I've had the same issue, as reported earlier in a post, since January 2009, we got our machine in December 2008. It is still an occasional issue, but I've never once been able to pin it to any specific thing. It happens with big files, small files, nothing as far as I'd believe to be the RIP software. I RIP the files in Onyx, it prints to a file, then I open the file in Agfa's little so-called RIP program, simply a print program with some specifics already worked out for you.

Upon occasion, while experimenting when this occurs, I can occasionally get it to resume normal printing by canceling the print on the printer itself, but answering "no" when it asks if I want to terminate, sometimes it takes 10 or more attempts. Usually, unless it is something critical, like printing something in 8 pass and about an hour in, I just hit "yes" and start fresh. Same file prints just fine the next time.

One thing, to all the other Agfa owners out here. I mentioned the Agfa RIP program earlier, it was upgraded to a newer version some years back. I somehow lost the upgraded version a few months ago, still had the older file on hand. However, the newer version allowed you to print multiples of the same file without having to go back to the computer each time. Does anyone have the updated version they could share with me?

Thanks
Ken

Dmeech

Sorry to resurrect a thread from the dead, I was just checking to see if anyone has any new insights or resolution to this issue.

We have an Anapurna 2540i LED that has run great for about a year and a half now but in the past week or so has developed this issue of the "Wait...(DATA)" error. Last week it would complete about 3-10 print passes before briefly pausing then continuing until the job was complete. However today it is unable to complete a single job.

No matter the settings the file is ripped at we have this problem (Production, Standard, High Quality, etc). I have noticed that when I have the task manger system monitor open, the disk transfer chart will be flat lined at 0 while printing, pause, then spike when it resumes, then back to zero. I have defragmented the disk drives and deleted old completed jobs just incase this had some play in the issue.

If anyone has any new developments they would be greatly apprecciated. Thank you.

Andy D

As I mentioned when messaging, I'm racking my brain trying to remember what solved the issue...
re-reading my old posts, it can't be Onyx or the cable, because it was doing it on test files loaded
on the printers computer...

Make sure nothing is running in the background like a virus protector or firewall, and that it's not connected to the internet, seems like it could have been a windows update issue...

I might connect a long data cable (ethernet?) from the printer's computer to the printer's head, it could be that because
they had to change out everything in that black track thing that the ink supply hoses and data cable ran through (not sure what it's called).

You might need to update your firmware

I remember that there was a weird issue connected to the cap on the white ink tank..

If you figure it out, don't be like me, comeback and let everyone know.

Andy D

The more I think about it, the more I think it was an issue related to Windows running something in the background....
It would start doing it one day, all day and then it wouldn't happen for weeks...

Dmeech

As I mentioned when messaging, I'm racking my brain trying to remember what solved the issue...
re-reading my old posts, it can't be Onyx or the cable, because it was doing it on test files loaded
on the printers computer...

Make sure nothing is running in the background like a virus protector or firewall, and that it's not connected to the internet, seems like it could have been a windows update issue...

I might connect a long data cable (ethernet?) from the printer's computer to the printer's head, it could be that because
they had to change out everything in that black track thing that the ink supply hoses and data cable ran through (not sure what it's called).

You might need to update your firmware

I remember that there was a weird issue connected to the cap on the white ink tank..

If you figure it out, don't be like me, comeback and let everyone know.

Thanks for your help Andy! We took a closer look at the machine after your messages and from the looks of it, It is very likely the ethernet cable the runs through the energy chain to the print head. We tested this by running an new cable externally and it was able to print just fine. I guess with the head passing over the table back and forth thousands of times it wore the cable out.

Much like you also suggested we looked at any background operations running in Windows and and stopped what we could, with no real results. Which is why we are confident to say its an issue with the ethernet cable.

Thanks again!.

PS. I'll keep this thread posted if the culprit changes.

Dmeech

Just an update. We ended up changing out the cable cat5 cable that runs from the on board PC to the print carriage. This remedied the issue. It seems that the cable just wore out from the back and forth in the energy chain. It took about 2 hours to replace, taking our time routing the cable and keeping it tidy. We also took the opportunity to upgrade the ends on the cable to something a little more sturdy.

Thanks for all your help.