• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aggressive vinyl for cold surfaces

Reaction GFX

I have a customer that installs commercial garage doors and has been having difficulty getting the small logo decals we print for him to stick to the cold steel garage doors. We're in Wisconsin...it's in the low 20s today, but will get colder. I've already informed him that both the stickers and the surface should ideally be at least 40 degrees, and that I don't think I have ANY vinyl on hand that is going to stick well to cold surfaces, especially if the stickers are also cold. Told him to keep the stickers in a warm spot and also to warm the door with a heat gun, to which he replied "I can do that, but I know my guys aren't going to..." These were printed on Arlon DPF6100 and laminated, so not a cheap vinyl by any means.

Anyone have any recommendations for a super aggressive vinyl that will apply better in colder temps? He wants them to really stick so they can't be removed easily. Looking for something inexpensive, ideally, as I really think the Arlon DPF6100 is overkill and not necessary for just simple decals going on flat surfaces, it's just what I had on hand so I used it and it has worked great until it got cold out. Only really need a few years of outdoor durability. Any input is appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
DPF8000 from Arlon will work. I did a job for some guys in Alaska for some outside electrical boxes. We used DPF8000 and 3420 lam and they stuck good.

Reaction GFX

DPF8000 from Arlon will work. I did a job for some guys in Alaska for some outside electrical boxes. We used DPF8000 and 3420 lam and they stuck good.
Yeah, that's on my short list of medias so far. I was just hoping that since I'm changing medias anyhow I could find something a little less expensive. Thanks, though!

Dan360

I recently got a newsletter ad for 3M 3500c which has a application temp of 28F.

I've installed vinyls calling for 10c at below 0 and not had issues though. Just depends on application I think.

Billct2

I'd recommend putting them on in the shop before they go out on the install, or putting them on a thin aluminum or lexan plate and pop riveting on.

Z SIGNS

Stickers go on the dashboard of the truck with the defroster heat on high.Roofing torch the steel then put your sticker on.