• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions agressive adhesive vinyl

evie

I have been using a generic air release eco solve gray back vinyl for years. It is only $120 for a full roll, and the adhesive is extremely strong, and it is bubble free. No one has it anymore, and I need something that will be economical, and have a permanent adhesive for outdoor signs and window displays. Can anyone share what economical vinyl they recommend? I was looking at Avery MPI 3303, but I have never used avery, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Avery 3303 is a promotional grade cheap cal vinyl. You say you want strong adhesive? That has normal adhesive. If you want really high tack, then you want Arlon DFP 8000 or even GF 201 HTAP.
If you just need a regular permanent adhesive on an air-egress vinyl, I recommend Avery 2903, which I just started using to replace Briteline 3203X, which is great too.

Bly

Not sure if it's available where you are but we use a bit of Image Perfect vinyl.
They have some nice high tack air free vinyls, mono and polymeric.

I Used this for a few years, this combo fails after 3 years maximum. its the lam that fails first.

I should have specified that we only use it for short term signs anyway, but I recommended it because the OP is looking for something economical. However, this lack of reliability is something we haven't experienced ourselves. But we have only been using the RA for 2 years now. Before that, we used the regular 2651, so maybe it's the RA/210 combo that's the problem?

TimToad

I Used this for a few years, this combo fails after 3 years maximum. its the lam that fails first.

Should I be going to all my customers with 4-5 year old signs that still look great using that combination in a very high UV region and warn them to expect failure any minute?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Should I be going to all my customers with 4-5 year old signs that still look great using that combination in a very high UV region and warn them to expect failure any minute?
I would expect failure pretty soon. We are not in a strong UV area, but we find ours fail after 6-7 years. It happens very quickly. Looks like the sign was burned, laminate turns brown.

TimToad

I would expect failure pretty soon. We are not in a strong UV area, but we find ours fail after 6-7 years. It happens very quickly. Looks like the sign was burned, laminate turns brown.

I'm all too familiar with the symptoms as well as the fact that it's only our low cost, budget, underbidding competition using cheap house brand materials that its happening to bhere, and after only 2-3 years. In the last several years, we've replaced ZERO signs of our own making and about a dozen of other's substandard work. That's not saying that a few of ours aren't showing some signs of edge shrinkage and a little fading, but overall our work seems to be holding its own against the elements. Using OEM ink, good quality materials, substrate prep practices and good application methods certainly helps.

Where we differ from those using inferior materials is that we're not like others who are promising people that their signs will last 7-10 years when we all know that even with good quality material, getting 5-6 years out of a sign exposed to direct sun is the more realistic expectation. When the others disgruntled customers eventually end up at our door, they describe being told what we consider unrealistic durability expectations.

equippaint

We use 215 rather than 210 for cal lam. It has a better life expectancy and not much more money. It seems a little less glossy than 210 which I prefer.

d fleming

Orajet has cheap and quality. Never had a problem with either. Big Fish can most likely get you something even cheaper if off brand isn't an issue

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I'm all too familiar with the symptoms as well as the fact that it's only our low cost, budget, underbidding competition using cheap house brand materials that its happening to bhere, and after only 2-3 years. In the last several years, we've replaced ZERO signs of our own making and about a dozen of other's substandard work. That's not saying that a few of ours aren't showing some signs of edge shrinkage and a little fading, but overall our work seems to be holding its own against the elements. Using OEM ink, good quality materials, substrate prep practices and good application methods certainly helps.

Where we differ from those using inferior materials is that we're not like others who are promising people that their signs will last 7-10 years when we all know that even with good quality material, getting 5-6 years out of a sign exposed to direct sun is the more realistic expectation. When the others disgruntled customers eventually end up at our door, they describe being told what we consider unrealistic durability expectations.
I have run into this a number of times, where a customer comes in and either a local competitor or some online place will tout 8-10 year life for digital prints, because that is the life of unprinted cast vinyl. I have lost sales over this because I am being realistic. Oh well, better to do the right thing.

spectrum maine

maybe a bad batch but 5 years was a long time, most within 4. laminate (oracal 210) always shrunk like crazy. vinyl seemed fine.

TimToad

We use 215 rather than 210 for cal lam. It has a better life expectancy and not much more money. It seems a little less glossy than 210 which I prefer.

210 costs us $230 for a 54"x150', 215 costs us $398 for a 54"x150'. That's more than "not much more money" where I come from. For not much more money than that, we could use one of the cheaper cast combos.