• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AH...I Blew A Fuse in my SP540V

Charlie J

I had my electrical engineer friend come down and he looked at my main board. Sure enough, I blew a fuse and for right now all I can print is black/blue. I've got a tech coming down friday. There's not a way I could fix this myself is there? I'm too scared to fry the board and then have a real mess on my hands.

Charlie J

Question

I talked to the tech a couple hours ago. He said that because the fuse is blown, he has to replace the print head. His reason being that the head is what causes the fuse to blow, so it is likely damaged and must be replaced.

Dave L.

After the tech changes the fuse or whole board, try printing. The printhead should be fine. the fuse stopped any over current from going forward. Your power supply may be malfunctioning, or a power surge or brown out could have blown the fuse. We had a couple today in NJ from all this wind! How many people in my area hit debris on the drive home today? I hit a Rubbermaid

Charlie J

He said If I wanted to try printing after he replaces the fuse without replacing the printhead, he'd have to get clearance from his boss. So in other words, if we try this and it blows the board, its on me.

mark in tx

Had the same thing happen, soldered a small fuse into place. Not a micro fuse.
It has worked fine ever since.
If the tech thinks the head blew the fuse, he's thinking backwards.
The fuse blew to protect the head.

hoops

Main Board Fuse

Hi guys we had this problem with our printer and before the roland tech left we were down £3000 and the printer still not printing right. Start of with the fuse blew and the tech changed the yellow/black printhead, print for a while and then they both went after about 10 new fuses soldered onto board they decided to change the board and put in two new printheads to make sure there was no more problems, and they wouldn't just change one item bucause they couldn't find out why the fuses were blown... Roland techs in Ireland useless!!!

signage

Any good tech should be able to test to see what caused the fuse to blow! The fuse is in the circuit to protect by design! I am not a printer tech but am an electrical designer and trouble shooter! So if they just want to replace parts they are not technicians they are parts replacers by instructional sheet! I would ask the tech to talk to his boss and ask what the fuse is in this circuit to protect, and if he guarantees this repair for a minmum of 90 days if any of these parts fail that they will repair for free!

mark in tx

btw, a main board is about $1500.
If the tech does not have a board to swap in, then they send it to Roland for a swap.

Dave L.

If you replace the main board, there is still the issue of the power supply (If that is it). Have them bring both, And test. The main board should be replaced by an experienced tech as all your parameters are saved and need to be transfered from there. You absolutely do not need a new print head though. Call another distributor and see what their techs say. Then call Roland tech support, express that you do not want to get a sub par visit, and pass the information you were told to them. They'll help you out and lead you to the right decision. Good luck and post progress.

Dave L.

Can't see anything wrong with that. The RS-640 is an awesome machine. Though i do notice that you have to clean the reflective strip on the platen from overspray every once in a while to read the media width correctly. Also, make sure that your design software can lay down Graphtec crop marks so you can contour cut. You would have to use something other than Versaworks to RIP. FYI