• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ai - Collecting linked images for output

GP

In CS3, is there an easy way to collect linked images for output?

Example -
I layout a large banner project with multiple images edited from Photoshop. I go to send the file to print and can't remember which files I linked.

I know, from doing research and my limited amount of experience, there is an easy way of doing this in InDesign and Quark, but I can't find anything in Illustrator.

thanks,

GP

GP

But I still wonder if there is a way to collect links to a folder for output.

GK

Try this script

There is also a program called Scoop. It will collect all the fonts/images for pre-press output. However you will find most people shun pre-press work done in Illustrator and not InDesign. Then there is FlightCheck for Quark and InDesign.

dbenec

You could also go old school on it and just embed the images :)

Gary

+1

to go one step further... select all, convert all type to outlines, SAVE COPY AS eps, check embed images. Then you have a file to send to outside services, and still have your original w/ text and links.

nothing worse than embedding images in your only copy of the file, then the link names disappear and you have to manually re-link things down the road

Letterbox Mike

+1

to go one step further... select all, convert all type to outlines, SAVE COPY AS eps, check embed images. Then you have a file to send to outside services, and still have your original w/ text and links.

nothing worse than embedding images in your only copy of the file, then the link names disappear and you have to manually re-link things down the road

Embed the images always, it 100% eliminates the possibility of losing a linked image.

GP

Thanks everyone.

Embedding the images in an .eps seems like the way to go, though it makes for some enormous files.

GP

beermonster

personally speaking, and i run a prepress dept for litho and uv inkjets - i want everything in illustrator - for packaging illy is superb (even an artpro op is now converted to illy after i taught him - he cant see the point in artpro for where we are now)

as for the "collect" - ya know - rather than link images from lots of different places - why not just keep them in the one folder with the original file - adopt good housekeeping and it's simple. also, illustrator will search the same directory for links when opening, so if you're messy (linking all and sundry from wherever isn't what i'd call tidy) with files and maybe move them - you gotta go find and re-link.

have it all in one folder - no need to embed, collect, outline or anything. so what if you have another copy of an image? no big deal - and if you have that image at correct sizing (eg NOT shrunk down 95% or something nuts) then file sizes will be at their optimum, and all the files for that project sit in one simple folder.

caution: IF you send files out and outline fonts, accept that any text changes will be done by you and could affect timescales/deadlines...at least ask the file receiver how THEY want files supplied....