• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AI Effect Problem + Versaworks

catalyzer

Hi,
I'd read through a few threads similar to my problem.
I'd tried those suggestions from their thread but still having some weird print result. It looks like washed out on the effect.
Please refer to image attached and I also attached the vector file (please change the .txt to .eps)
Please let me know if I've missed something.

Thanks heaps!

info:
Color Mode: CMYK
Color Swatches: Roland Spot Colors
Software: Illustrator CS5.5
Machine: VS420 (updated to latest version)
RIP : Versaworks (updated to latest version)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 116
  • TEST-EFFECT.txt
    617.6 KB · Views: 94

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
the problem is the Transparency effect combined with the SPOT color. Its converting the effect to CMYK or RGB based on your Transparency settings and converting out to the boundaries of the effect in that colorspace. If you Convert your background color to Either RGB or CMYK the bounding box look will disappear. OR work it all out and rasterize in P-Shop.

catalyzer

i've shown two print results one is with flatten transparency and ine is without. the bounding box is dissapeared when i flatten it.

i have to use the roland spot color to match my customer's artwork color.

how do i do it in PS? or is there any solutions?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
When you flattened it....the color changed correct? What you are doing is flattening in either 4c Process or RGB colorspaces. If your background has changed with the flattening...and from what I can likely see it has....then you need to look at the color chart, figure out the closest RGB or CMYK values to it and keep everything in the same colorspace. Its likely you will have to manually dial in your color to match the Roland color chip. The same exact thing happens when working with PMS colors. Typically the best solution for me is utilizing the CMYK breakdowns from Pantone Color Bridge as a starting point to dial in the color manually. There really isnt much you can do.
When Adobe gave Vector artwork the ability to do outer glows it really became a printing nightmare with the combination of spot and transparency effects. Try testing a PSD file on top of the spot color the same way. The PSD is transparent, shows up that way...BUT the spot color area directly beneath the image pixel bounding area is converted to the same color space as the PSD file.

ttik

Looking at your file it seems that the Gaussian blur is being saved with a frame box around it. This is a feature that illustrator does to most files to preserve transparencies and gradients etc. If you save a PDF file and have a look at wire frame (ctrl Y) you will notice the frame edges on most gradients and effects that are masked.

The easiest way around this is to look at creating the effect within a background colour, and blending. This can be achieved in a program like Photoshop and then rasterised out as one object.
Bringing the file into illustrator then means you can add the word layers on top. This is not specifically a VersaWorks issue but more or less how adobe handles artwork effects.

Best of luck.

catalyzer

I've tried these below and the print result on the effect still looks washed out.
1. copied the CMYK value from Roland Color.
2. created background with the drop shadow effect, saved as jpg, brought into AI and add the word layers on top.

I am very confused now and don't know how to do this "Try testing a PSD file on top of the spot color the same way. The PSD is transparent, shows up that way...BUT the spot color area directly beneath the image pixel bounding area is converted to the same color space as the PSD file."

Can anyone try to print this at your end? see if you got the same result?
thanks.