• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AI to Corel help

wildside

We were sent a file by an agency that is an AI file, no problem we can open it, but when we try and bring it into Corel X4 it messes up all the colors

we have tried every way we know how, is there a trick to get it from one to the other correctly? mostly with the gradients and transparencies i am guessing, when it does come through, Corel slices the gradient into thousands of little slivers of color... frustrating....

our main workflow is corel is why we need it kicked over

wildside

i prefer to keep it as vector, but last resort is raster

when i save it as PDF and then import, corel pops up and says it is a corrupt file

jhd

If you can have someone save it in an older version pdf, it should come into corel X4 fine. I've never really understood why this works, but it does.

wildside

If you can have someone save it in an older version pdf, it should come into corel X4 fine. I've never really understood why this works, but it does.

HUGE Thank you! :U Rock:

that is strange that newer pdf versions cause problems, saved it as PDF version 4 (1.3) in illy and came through perfect into corel this time!!

thank you again :rock-n-roll:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We were sent a file by an agency that is an AI file, no problem we can open it, but when we try and bring it into Corel X4 it messes up all the colors

we have tried every way we know how, is there a trick to get it from one to the other correctly? mostly with the gradients and transparencies i am guessing, when it does come through, Corel slices the gradient into thousands of little slivers of color... frustrating....

our main workflow is corel is why we need it kicked over

You need to invest in Illustrator.
I am a diehard Draw user but there is no real solution when dealing with clients AI files.
Time saved, unknown/unseen issues avoided make it worth the cost in time and money to have an up to date basic install of Illustrator on at least one system in the company.

I just got through editing 28 window poster AI files sent to me by the ad agency to reset the dimensions to the actual windows sizes.
(couldn't be rescaled as the hight/width ratios were wrong)
All with gradient fills and effects.
It would have been a nightmare in Coreldraw even with the newest updated import filters.

The more I use Illustrator the more I realize how much better the workflow is in Draw but it is a necessary evil - like Flexisign.....

wayne k
guam usa

Decal Dude

Just had this today with cutline coming in to Corel with Illy CS6. I had to save the file as a Illustrator Legacy 4 file to get Corel to see it correctly. Illustrator is trying to make their software to work with their stuff alone.