• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AI vector losing detail

T2

Hey all! (again)

I was wondering if there is a video or resource that someone could recommend with regards to maintaining detail when converting an image to vector?

I am finding some of the images I want to convert change drastically and as a result lose so much detail that there isn't a point in converting them. I use AI CS6, and there is advanced settings that allows you to change the path, corners, pixels etc. but is this my only options when trying to recover lost detail?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Some images auto trace (what you are calling "convert") better than others. The solution is to learn to also use the hand tracing/drawing features of Illustrator such as the Bezier Pen and Geometric Shapes tools.

TammieH

Enlarge your jpeg as big as you can (whatever Illustrator will let you enlarge it to and still convert. To large and illustrator will not convert the image to an outline) Then when you reduce the size naturally it will look sharper.

Also see if you are able to clean up in Photoshop Prior (btw I go back and forths, sometimes Photoshop will can do a better job of creating vectors)

At times it is easier to manually trace

T2

Oh I see, yes thus far I have been doing the "auto conversion" method and this appears to be the reason why its happening. I will try doing more manual tracing and the enlarging trick to see if I can get more out of certain images I am losing detail.

Thanks!

Matt-Tastic

If it is a simple shape (i.e. 1 or 2 color), take it to a copy machine, enlarge it in black and white. The higher contrast will make it easier to trace, and the larger object you scan will make the trace easier.

If you have an older B&W copier, the enlargement will also be a bit smoother than the newer digital scanner/printer copiers. but either way, up your contrast to get a good B&W copy, then start from there. You can always add color to it once you've traced it.