• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AICS2 to flexi

regzgz

Hi to all the members of this great forum!
I being reading for a few days now trying to get some more insightful info into flexi and I ran into a little problem as explained below.

:help: I have a logo created in AI CS2, the logo contains 4 layers, one layer is a solid circle and the other are letters. This is a simple logo to be cut in vinyl using Flexi started 7.6
I saved the file in the format AI, (my logo.AI) when I open the file in Flexi, I can send the whole logo to the cutter but since the logo has two different colors I need to cut one first and then the other. This is where the problem begins, I can't select the layers as I did before, seems like the logo is as a group and I can't un-group it, any ideas what I did wrong?

Thank you for your time to read this post and for any replies.:smile:

I did a search but after a few hours I got nothing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When Flexi first imports your AI file it sees it as an object. You need to execute a Convert to Outlines command (Control +Shift +O). You will then be able to select individual vectors, groups and combined shapes

regzgz

Thanks!

Ok! I will try this when I get home; I was right when I thought this was a great place to ask questions. Thank you so much for the quick reply! :thumb:

regzgz

By the way..

When Flexi first imports your AI file it sees it as an object. You need to execute a Convert to Outlines command (Control +Shift +O). You will then be able to select individual vectors, groups and combined shapes

Is there a automatic funtion on this?
When I created another logo before and imported it into flexi I was able to move individual objects.

regzgz

Didin't work

I went back to the original logo and did ungroup all the elements in AICS2, save it as mylogo.ai using PDF compatible and no compression.
when opening in flexi I still getting the object as a whole, using the suggested tip didn't work either. What are the best settings to save under AICS2 to import to flexi?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Depending on how you went about creating the file you may want to save it back to a version 8 or a version 3. I'm not so sure Flexi 7.6 can competently read in a CS 2 file.

mark in tx

Like Fred said,
Save the file as an AI 8 file, then open it in flexi. You should be able to ungroup it in flexi to do seperations, or change the colors in Flexi.

One thing I have noticed with AI files in Flexi is that sometimes gradients don't come across well, but I usually fix that by exporting from Illustrator as a tiff, then opening in Flexi.

regzgz

Thank you Fred!

Fred:
You are a genius, saving to AI8 did the trick; now I can move the elements as individual parts of the logo.
One thing I forgot to mention before it's that I was using AICS before, so went I saved files before I did not have that problem; I just upgraded to AICS2 and never thought about file compatibility!
:U Rock:

WVB

I use AI CS2 everyday with FlexiPro 7.6v2. All my ai/eps files are saved in cs2 formats. Works flawlessy. Never had to back save to an older version of AI. You can choose open from the file menu or drag and drop the AI file directly to Flexi.

1) Right click on AI file inside Flexi.
2) Choose unmask
3) Click on a blank area
4) Delete black box

You should be able to work with the file...