• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Air Bubbles Leaving Marks

peavey123

Hey All, Quick question.

When wrapping I've noticed anywhere air is trapped. Once you work the air out there is a slight line where the bubble used to be.

ie. wrapping a chevy Avalanche tailgate where "Chevrolet" is raised lettering. All around the lettering there are slight lines where the air was trapped before working the air out.

Anyone ever run into something like this? Is it poor prep? Technique? etc...?

Materials I notice this with are 3M IJ180CV3.

Thank you.
The Peav.

Mike F

Hey All, Quick question.

When wrapping I've noticed anywhere air is trapped. Once you work the air out there is a slight line where the bubble used to be.

ie. wrapping a chevy Avalanche tailgate where "Chevrolet" is raised lettering. All around the lettering there are slight lines where the air was trapped before working the air out.

Anyone ever run into something like this? Is it poor prep? Technique? etc...?

Materials I notice this with are 3M IJ180CV3.

Thank you.
The Peav.

I've never wrapped before, but I'm pretty sure just from reading this forum that you're supposed to take all that kinda stuff off before wrapping, not just wrap over it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I don't think that is what he's talking about.

This is the tented up media and when the air is removed it leaves a small depression or indication that something was once there and no one but another sign person is gonna know it was merely air.

For us, that's usually from leaving it there a little too long and not working it out quick enough. However, for the most part, it usually works itself out to the point it's rather unnoticeable to anyone, especially after post heating.

peavey123

Yes Mike. On this particular application the lettering is actually a part of the tailgate. No way to remove it.

Thanks Gino, I have been told the marks should disappear once exposed to a bit of sun.. and you're right it's not really noticeable to the normal person but I just noticed it when getting my nose right up to the tailgate. ha.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes Mike. On this particular application the lettering is actually a part of the tailgate. No way to remove it.

Thanks Gino, I have been told the marks should disappear once exposed to a bit of sun.. and you're right it's not really noticeable to the normal person but I just noticed it when getting my nose right up to the tailgate. ha.

See, ya answered yer own problem..... signs are meant to be read.... not smelled. Get your damned nose off the work..... please :ROFLMAO: