Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Air channel vs not

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by Saturn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Saturn

Saturn Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Oregon
    Can anyone think of a good reason not to offer general purpose stickers on air release vinyl versus not? Aside from wet application I don't see any downsides, and would love to just switch to all air-flo all the time.

I can't foresee any argument even a picky client would have against it.... ?

We're talking plain jane, contour cut, 3x3 to 5x5 ballpark stuff. Nothing specialized or much larger.

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    So when the customer gets bubbles in their 3" decal they know they can't attempt large graphics and let you do the install.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    If you are masking the decals, mask doesn't like to stick to air release liners, so that's something to consider.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. striper14

striper14 Member

May 23, 2003
    home alone
    air release is the way of the future, i reckon. Its the only vinyl i'd use if it was available in the full range of colors. As for wet application, it works fine with air release vinyl

5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    No

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    I thought the point of air release was so you didnt have to wet it?

• Like Like x 2
  7. RustyNZ

RustyNZ Member

Feb 22, 2017
    New Zealand
    I'm no expert but don't want people reading that and making a mistake. As far as I know, you should not use air release vinyl with wet application because the water gets trapped in the channels and you can't squeegee it all out. This causes it to fail earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thinner lines and lettering are more prone to peeling/failure over time with air release vinyl.

9. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    For 3x3 or 5x5, what quality are you talking? We get a lot of real estate signage or other semi-temporary stuff so we do stickers on the margins of those, since most of our sticker orders are also temp/cheapy ones. We don't use air-egress for coroplast/windows/temp stuff - I was under the impression it was a little more costly? Or have we just been shooting ourselves in the foot?

10. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

For cheap stickers we switched over to air release about a year ago. It doesn't cost much more and I figure it's easier to apply. Stickers are stickers and most people aren't going to apply them wet, they just want to stick them on their car window, guitar case, notebook, or whatever.