• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Air release question

Dennis422

Hi. I have been doing vinyl signage since October of last year.
Today will be the first time I'm working with an air release vinyl, 3M IJ40-c.
The customer has some already printed and I will have to use those. They are truck signs, 2 for side doors and one on the wind reflector.

My questions is (Or more a need for a confirmation), do I install these dry?

I will clean the sufrace with the alcohol, and I will dry it afterwords. I'm guessing that due to the air release liner, there is no need for water/soap mixture. These are suposed to be repositionable until squeegeed?

Am I correct?

Be easy on me, I posted it in Newbie forum :)
This is probably a stupid even to ask, but a confirmation will not hurt :Big Laugh

Thanks

Jillbeans

Yup definitely do it dry.
It's pretty much idiot-proof, even I can use it really easily.
Tape it into place, measure it, measure it again, and stick it.
(I usually use the center hinge method)
As far as I know it is not repositionable.
Love....Jill

SIGNTIME

dry for sure ... just tape it in position and center hinge it and lay it.... you cant slide it around once it touches like when doing a wet app but if you need to you can pull it off and lay it back down as long as it is a like a big rectangle if it is a bunch of letters held together by transfer tape i wouldnt try to lift it off and reposition because the mask will peel off the vinyl before the vinyl will peel off the truck.

J Hill Designs

just make sure you got it where you want it before you drop it down :thumb:
Customer supplied vinyl, you dont want to ruin 1 by trying to pull it up

Dennis422

Thanks guys, hinge it is :)
These came to me with the application tape already on it. I do not know why they applied the tape, it is just a big one piece design with no need for application tape.
It is just an overkill and it will be pain to remove.

2B

dry for sure ... just tape it in position and center hinge it and lay it.... you cant slide it around once it touches like when doing a wet app but if you need to you can pull it off and lay it back down as long as it is a like a big rectangle if it is a bunch of letters held together by transfer tape i wouldnt try to lift it off and reposition because the mask will peel off the vinyl before the vinyl will peel off the truck.

+1 if you do need to reposition, make sure you list slowly so you don't stretch the material

JgS

from my experience it stretches very easily so I wouldn't count on being able to reposition it.

if it has pre-mask I would guess no lam. on it. You can pull back and reposition if your careful with the pre mask on. Without pre-mask or lam it will stretch easy, just be careful with when using heat and no lam.

ij40c is a very user friendly vinyl and it repositions and and egress well its thicker which it makes easier to handle we use it a lot on full coverage box trucks and trailers. And you shouldn't need more than a few magnets and a roll of tape and a squeegee to get the job done just dont over think it.

kanini

Regarding the transfer tape they might wanted to protect the decal from scratches from the squeegee when applying...?

Schickworks

Regarding the transfer tape they might wanted to protect the decal from scratches from the squeegee when applying...?
more likely is that it would be some kind of shaped decal in which case you would need transfer tape to hold it all together.