• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

All decals, all day...

chandrinator

Hi everyone! My company wants me to hook them up with a vinyl printer. We do vehicle decals (and just that...no posters, no signs, etc.) all day long. I'm looking into exactly what to get and I'd like user opinions on your machinery's output. Solvent vs thermal transfer vs latex... What is the least time consuming and has the best output based on just vehicle graphics use? What do you have problems with the most? What brands do you like (or hate)? Hit me with everything you got!
Thanks!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have two basic methods.

Solvent/mild solvent or latex.
Piggy back or two stand alone systems.
You'll need a laminator, too.

It's just not an easy.... one-two-three answer.

You're gonna need budgets, real estate area in your shop, ventilation, ease of technical support, your in-house capabilities will determine how much tech support you're gonna need and most of all software. Someone recently wrote that with a particular kinda software, you can instantly create your marketplace.

You're best bet would be to outsource, find out what the various suppliers are using, then once you get the hang of it, create some super-duper files and go to a few distributors of your choice and have them demonstrate using your files, not theirs.

chandrinator

More than 1-2-3...

I understand that this is not an easy process or choice. I've been researching for a month or more now. I was intrigued and impressed by Summa's thermal transfer prints that were spot color, but the gradients, not so much. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING! I have a great deal of experience with a Roland Versacamm, but that thing was always having issues, so I'm a bit biased, although I am looking seriously at the Versacamm VSi. I have heard wonderful things about latex printers for vehicle decals; not a bad word yet. I am looking into the Mimaki JV400 seriously, however it is a downfall that it does not have a built-in cutter and the customer service has been terrible, although I cannot dismiss a printer simply because some guy has a crappy attitude. I know that HP is the dominator of latex printing, but I have talked to some users and they all badmouth them because they say they break a lot and their service/support is awful.
One thing I have heard is that latex prints do not need to be laminated, and then have heard that they do... ??
I am used to solvent/eco-solvent, so I am sure of what it can do, but I feel greatly (without having seen anything yet) that latex will far surpass solvent in the near future. My company is looking to buy into the future, not the present. Also, my company does not do wraps as of now, but they are looking into doing that down the road, so I have to prepare us for that as well.
So that's why I'm looking to all you vehicle decallers out there for opinions and advice.

ProColorGraphics

I understand that this is not an easy process or choice. I've been researching for a month or more now. I was intrigued and impressed by Summa's thermal transfer prints that were spot color, but the gradients, not so much. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING! I have a great deal of experience with a Roland Versacamm, but that thing was always having issues, so I'm a bit biased, although I am looking seriously at the Versacamm VSi. I have heard wonderful things about latex printers for vehicle decals; not a bad word yet. I am looking into the Mimaki JV400 seriously, however it is a downfall that it does not have a built-in cutter and the customer service has been terrible, although I cannot dismiss a printer simply because some guy has a crappy attitude. I know that HP is the dominator of latex printing, but I have talked to some users and they all badmouth them because they say they break a lot and their service/support is awful.
One thing I have heard is that latex prints do not need to be laminated, and then have heard that they do... ??
I am used to solvent/eco-solvent, so I am sure of what it can do, but I feel greatly (without having seen anything yet) that latex will far surpass solvent in the near future. My company is looking to buy into the future, not the present. Also, my company does not do wraps as of now, but they are looking into doing that down the road, so I have to prepare us for that as well.
So that's why I'm looking to all you vehicle decallers out there for opinions and advice.

HP Latex and Summa T Series cutter all day long!! I have just got my 4th HP latex setup. I wouldn't use anything else. I have had awesome support with both HP and Summa. BUT, YES, you do need to laminate them if you want them to last. The new 300 series inks are very scratch resistant, but I wouldn't put them on anything unlaminated unless it was VERY short term, like a yard sign.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi everyone! My company wants me to hook them up with a vinyl printer. We do vehicle decals (and just that...no posters, no signs, etc.) all day long. I'm looking into exactly what to get and I'd like user opinions on your machinery's output. Solvent vs thermal transfer vs latex... What is the least time consuming and has the best output based on just vehicle graphics use? What do you have problems with the most? What brands do you like (or hate)? Hit me with everything you got!
Thanks!!

You ever wrangle a large format printer before? I assume not since you're asking for guidance. That being the case, no matter what tackle you end up with, there's a learning curve. These are not desktop printers on steroids. It takes most mere mortals about a year +-50%, a set of inks, and a roll or two of media to become sufficiently proficient to generate an 80% yield. Some seem to get it sooner than others, some never do.

chandrinator

You ever wrangle a large format printer before? I assume not since you're asking for guidance. That being the case, no matter what tackle you end up with, there's a learning curve. These are not desktop printers on steroids. It takes most mere mortals about a year +-50%, a set of inks, and a roll or two of media to become sufficiently proficient to generate an 80% yield. Some seem to get it sooner than others, some never do.
I have worked with a Roland Versacamm for two years.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not having a built in cutter is a positive thing in my opinion. If you are printing then you cannot cut and vice / versa. With a separate cutter you can be cutting one job while some other job is printing. Also think about other products that get combined..... for example your digital camera can make movies but can it do so as well as a video camera? Your video camera can take still photos, but not nearly as well as your camera can.... Very often when products are combined one (or both) of the functions often suffer and are not nearly as good as they could be, in addition to the fact that only one function can be used at a time.

Latex prints need to be laminated just as much as solvents prints do. Whoever told you otherwise is lying and just trying to sell you on latex.

Bigcat_hunter

We run two Mutoh VJ 1204 printers and Graphtec cutters. I print and cut tons of decals everyday. We laminate decals if the customer wants it (custom decals) but our retail decals are unlamented. They usually last between 2 and 4 years. The mutoh ink holds color very well.

Snydo

Eco-Sol or Latex, forget about the thermal, it has considerable limitations compared to the others.
The all-in-one hybrid, I wouldn't, like Sightline said you can be printing tomorrows installs while todays installs are on the cutter.
Graphtec cutters are great but if you go with a latex printer I would highly recommend a Summa cutter, the OPOS XY feature works amazingly well.

As far as eco or latex you can't really go wrong both are awesome.

HP is king of latex printers, no need to look elsewhere....getting service can be cumbersome, mostly because the person you are calling speaks English as a 3rd language.
I ran Mimaki printers my first eight years in this business and they are great machines, well built, workhorses. We had very adequate service from Advantage Sign Supply on these machines.
The Epson SC 30670 eco-sol is a great printer for the price point also(15kish), ours just rolled 425k sq. ft on it's second birthday. It has been serviced twice, both times tech was on site the next morning with parts and had me printing well before lunch.

Always laminate outdoor graphics, anyone that says otherwise is lying or will be out of business in the next couple years.
Best of luck.