• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

All I want for Christmas.....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Showed my wife what I wanted for Christmas, Think I'll be getting something a little more economical - like a divorce.

apple pro.jpg

Told her if it was not a good purchase we could duct tape a banana to the side and resell it for $170k

C

ColoPrinthead

Our AV department just switched to PC from Mac because of the high cost of the new cheese graters.

rjssigns

YIKES!!!!:eek: That is insane money.

After much debate(read waffling) I bought a 27" 6 core iMac from Costco. Couldn't beat the deal at 1400 bucks. Going to add RAM and I'll be set.

greysquirrel

all that horsepower only necessary when editing 4k videos and music...iMac Pro with 32gb ram and i7 processor is all u need

WildWestDesigns

What are you even doing that would need that much RAM holy crap

The irony is, can get a Lenovo Thinkstation (what I use, but not to this level, no where near it) and configure it be comparable to the Mac in a lot of respects (won't have some of the features as they may be Mac only). I would say probably 85% there, maybe more (slightly more CPU performance) for about $35k - $40k. Typically not room for expansion with Macs, beyond their configuration options on the site.

We are definitely not the target demographic for this (but ironically the most vocal as to what a bad idea this is).

netsol

Premium Subscriber
YIKES!!!!:eek: That is insane money.

After much debate(read waffling) I bought a 27" 6 core iMac from Costco. Couldn't beat the deal at 1400 bucks. Going to add RAM and I'll be set.

yes & no
i assume you are an old timer in the industry
what did you pay for your first pc?
the first 386's, that year were $7200 frpm ibm or alr (think what average salaries were in 1985-1986)
you always pay big time for cutting edge

rjssigns

yes & no
i assume you are an old timer in the industry
what did you pay for your first pc?
the first 386's, that year were $7200 frpm ibm or alr (think what average salaries were in 1985-1986)
you always pay big time for cutting edge

Yup an old timer. First rig was custom built but that's all there was. As I recall it was around $4400 and RAM was measured in minute amounts of megs.

So far I really like my new iMac. Probably still be using my 2009 iMac if the graphics card didn't die. New Mac with 8 gigs of RAM runs great. Reworked a shuttle wrap recently and didn't notice any appreciable lag. RAM upgrade is on the list once the pandemic is over and I'm back to work.

Reveal1

I recall my first PC was an AMD k6, my old man built it. He brought me along to CompUSA for the second one when I was about 10, we got an AMD Slot type processor that was around 600mhz. Oh the glory days, when an upgraded pc got some serious speed improvements. At this moment in time, I have a 3.4ghz, 4 core with SATA 3 SSD's and 16gb of ram... That I built in 2011
You must be a youngin'. My first PC was an Osborne - Google it. Cost me $1695 in 1980. I believe that was 10% of my income that year, and it was a good year. Followed that just a couple of years later with a home built Heathkit branded 286 Zenith laptop. Back then you barely unpacked the box and it was outdated. Man, I just realized what an old fart I have become. Now we talk about the computers we had. Our Fathers talked about their cars. Our kids will talk about their phones.

Reveal1

I'm a Neo boomer, aka, millennial without a facebook. So I feel like I'm right there with you, just less dusty memories I suppose. Though I will point out, my dad talks about what cranes he used to have...
Ha big toys for big boys.