• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

All sewn up.

Corwin Steeves

Large format printer to the stars
As anyone who's been to a trade show knows, fabric is becoming a bigger and bigger part of the large format industry. We're thinking about making the leap, but the one thing that has me nervous is the finishing. I have no problem taping a banner, but with fabric you need to use a needle and thread... yikes! :eek:

Doesn't anyone have ANY advice on machines for finishing that could make this transition a little more painless?? Miller Weldmaster seems to be the most popular choice for what I can tell.

WildWestDesigns

I'm more of a needle and thread person. I've always liked the way it finished compared to any type of tape or adhesive (now it's more in the garment area for me, but in my experience it holds true with banners as well, but that could just be me).

I think it's more of the initial fear that people have with the initial learning, practice and you should be good to go.

In that vein, any name brand commercial machine should do right by you. I think around here most suggest Juki (I've dealt with commercial Brother and Pfaff machines as well and they hold up well as well). Consew would be another, I know they are really popular with upholstery shops, at least around here.

Some suggest using chain stitch, I personally wouldn't. They have their pros, but the biggest con to me is that they are designed to pull out quickly (think livestock feed sacks and how one opens those).

I would suggest something with a dual feed or at least the ability to get a Walking Foot add on. That helps move heavy material through and helps keep things from puckering.

GB2

Old Member
Attending a trade show is a great way to explore those types of questions and new opportunities. Last week I attended the SGIA show in New Orleans and you are correct, it's all about fabric now. Your choice in finishing equipment depends on exactly what it is that you intend to do, there is no one machine that will do everything for you. If you intend to do SEG graphics then there are new awesome conveyor/sewing machines that are designed just for that purpose and are amazing. If you are doing banner heming then Miller Weldmaster has some fantastic new welders for that. If you just want to start out with something general purpose, you can simply get a sewing machine to do things manually, something like a Juki 1541 is a great choice.

Corwin Steeves

Large format printer to the stars
Attending a trade show is a great way to explore those types of questions and new opportunities. Last week I attended the SGIA show in New Orleans and you are correct, it's all about fabric now. Your choice in finishing equipment depends on exactly what it is that you intend to do, there is no one machine that will do everything for you. If you intend to do SEG graphics then there are new awesome conveyor/sewing machines that are designed just for that purpose and are amazing. If you are doing banner heming then Miller Weldmaster has some fantastic new welders for that. If you just want to start out with something general purpose, you can simply get a sewing machine to do things manually, something like a Juki 1541 is a great choice.

I was at the show too! Though I only saw the Miller booth and no other options, but I was focusing too much on the printer and didn't give the finishing the appropriate consideration until I got home and started thinking about it. ...those 2am New Orleans nights probably didn't help either. ;)

Andy_warp

We run dye sub and build tension frames. Our frame shop is all custom with welded joints...snap button frames...keeping installation tool less.
There is no substitute for a cut/sew department. Our team of finishers are seamstresses, and have worked in the field for decades.

The finishing is a huge part of the value of our product. It's all about the fit. We do SEG from time to time, but typically it's fully sewn pillowcase covers.

The problem with sewing to SEG is getting the tension right, that's why people are reluctant to do it. Honestly, I wouldn't trust the hold of adhesive.

We have a few Jukis that are 20 years old and still rolling! Also a few specialty machines for surging and edge binding.
Fabric is fun, and extremely challenging, best to get someone with experience in handling it. I've been printing on paper since the 90's but fabric is much much different.

Andy_warp

Why use it at all, especially for that application?

Whenever I do custom pillow covers, which is a lot, it's all sewn together. Nothing else.
We don't use the "tape" method for anything. That was kind of my point. not much is stronger than stitches!

We REALLY don't like SEG! Every mfr profiles are different...frames can be built incorrectly...
Unfortunately we have a lot of customers that use this format for exhibiting, so we have to provide the service.

WildWestDesigns

We REALLY don't like SEG! Every mfr profiles are different...frames can be built incorrectly...
Unfortunately we have a lot of customers that use this format for exhibiting, so we have to provide the service.

I gotcha now. I was originally reading that as that's when you specifically use that type of application.

I agree, can't beat stitches though, but sewing is what I like to do (the ole ball and chain makes fun of me about it and how she has to come to me to get a button stitched back on).